Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Die Grinders 13 Apr 2012 19:43 #515645

• LarryC
  • LarryC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
After porting with air for 30 years, I thought I'd give electric a try. I picked up a GE0600 a few months ago. Brushes are shot already.

I needed to keep moving so I went out and picked up a GD0601. The predecessor to the GE0600. Better grinder, more power, smoother.

Still, neither of those hold a candle to my ancient, 30 year old Blue Point Air grinder.

Attachment PortingTools.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Die Grinders 13 Apr 2012 20:12 #515651

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
The only tools for drilling & riveting in aerospace work were air powered. Even the heat guns for doing heatshrink work were air powered(via a remote heating setup). There was fear that exposed sparks from the brushes could set off a fire/explosion from fuel or solvent exposure.

As you've found out, air tools are lighter,self cooling,and more user friendly than the electric ones are. Sure, they're pricey compared to the electric version, but they seem to last much longer.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Die Grinders 13 Apr 2012 20:28 #515653

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
We use air and electric grinders at work, air grinders are much nicer and last much longer. I sware by Atlas Copco and Dynabrade, more than a bit pricey but well worth it.

Les

Die Grinders 13 Apr 2012 22:35 #515672

• jonnybravo
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 18
agreed Lar, that plus , in general, makita aint what it used to be, die grinders and some others, (DA sanders , etc) must be air , problem with electric is the dust gets to the brushes so fast they're toast in no time, we use big ass 9 inch grinders with 10 inch diamond blades ( we remove the safety guards) to cut stone and we run into the same thing, fine dust toasting brushes, so instead of buying the expensive shit for 300 a pop I get Harbor Freights for 49 dollar, we tried taping off the air vent just for shits and giggles but it fried em even faster. :woohoo: :lol:

Last edit: by jonnybravo.

Die Grinders 04 May 2012 23:50 #519903

• 1100fighter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a electric that kicks as$! It's a hitachi and has been used to drill 100s of holes in rock. It has impressed me. I've burned out other hitachi tools but this one has been a good one.

i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/yjcrawlr/photo-526.jpg
Throttle junkie since 5

Last edit: by 1100fighter.

Die Grinders 05 May 2012 11:11 #519959

• LarryC
  • LarryC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

1100fighter wrote: I have a electric that kicks as$! It's a hitachi and has been used to drill 100s of holes in rock. It has impressed me. I've burned out other hitachi tools but this one has been a good one.

Looks similar to an Chicago Electric that I have. Big draw back with electric grinders for porting is in how true the cutter will spin.
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Die Grinders 05 May 2012 15:57 #519998

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
My hand gets cold running the air ones,yeah I know where gloves! :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Die Grinders 05 May 2012 16:42 #520007

• jonnybravo
  • User is blocked
the Hitachi is a better made tool anyway, Makitas quality ,in general, has fallen off over the years

Die Grinders 05 May 2012 19:16 #520036

• jonnybravo
  • User is blocked

LarryC wrote:

1100fighter wrote: I have a electric that kicks as$! It's a hitachi and has been used to drill 100s of holes in rock. It has impressed me. I've burned out other hitachi tools but this one has been a good one.

Looks similar to an Chicago Electric that I have. Big draw back with electric grinders for porting is in how true the cutter will spin.

well if u think about it that makes total sense, the electric is driven by the electric motor with the brushes and armature thing and the electrical field is a friction based movement whereas the air is not, hence the increased smoothness factor correct ????/

• Page: