Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Back Tap Tool 01 Sep 2009 22:13 #318471

• Patton
  • Patton's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Back tap tool for rethreading a cross-threaded spark plug hole that starts from the DEEP END where the threads are still good.

This is one of several brands available.

Click here >> Back Tap Tool

It can happen to the best of us: one moment of inattention results in a cross-threaded spark plug hole. You can either install a helicoil and hope for the best, or send it out to have the whole shebang re-tapped. Now you have another option. The Back-Tap can fix that cross-threaded hole from the inside — without pulling the head.

The Back-Tap is a tap with expandable threads and a mandrel to catch errant metal shards. Apply a dab of grease to the mandrel, then place the device in the hole past the damaged threads. As you back it out, the cutters expand out to engage the undamaged threads, then gently reshape the damaged ones. The greased mandrel keeps metal filings from ending up in the cylinder.

The result: a task that could potentially take days and cost hundreds of dollars is done in minutes for less than a hundred bucks.

MAC offers a three-piece kit that includes a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm Back-Tap for $90. You can buy Individual taps from various sources for about $50 each.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

Back Tap Tool 21 Dec 2009 04:31 #340129

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
I bought one of these a year or so ago. I have to say they work really well. I had 2 bikes that the PO had boogered up the threads on. This tool saved me a bunch of time and money.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: