Winterizing Question

More
07 Dec 2006 19:58 #98190 by Link14
Winterizing Question was created by Link14
Hopefully enough snow will have melted this weekend so I can bring the bike in and winterize it. One question I have is in the procedure for pulling the spark plugs and putting a teaspoon of oil down each. Several posts in the archive mention turning the engine over a couple of times after putting the oil in, without starting it. Will leaving the start switch in off and using the kickstart a couple of times do the trick?

Appreciate any help I can get. I'm not much of a mechanic yet, but I just got the factory manual and am looking forward to working on the bike this Spring (when it get warmer).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2006 20:26 #98196 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Winterizing Question
that will do it, or just forget to hook up the plug wires, or turn the key;)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
07 Dec 2006 20:49 #98204 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Winterizing Question
And leave the plugs out while You turn it over(slowly,so You don't puke out the oil and make a mess).Put a rag over each plug hole.
Turn it over a few times...by hand even,and then set Your plugs back in.
Happy Hibernation,Bud.B) :laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
08 Dec 2006 06:27 #98236 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Winterizing Question
Thanks guys, looks like it will be almost 60 deg tomorrow so I should be able to get this done.

Sandy - several of the archive posts mentioned turning the engine by hand...I was uncertain how to do this. From what I've read it looks like the easiest way it to take the points cover off, put a wrench on the large nut and turn it counter-clockwise.

Seemed easier to use the kick start since I've got it.

Thanks again

More
08 Dec 2006 07:15 #98245 by rammy
Replied by rammy on topic Winterizing Question
Instead of pulling the cover off the points put bike on center stand put it in gear and rotate the rear tire slowly that is if you dont have a kick starter.

The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

More
08 Dec 2006 08:45 #98257 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Winterizing Question
I think sandy ment to turn it over by hand using the kick starter, not a wrench;) Use a wrench if you are checking timing or valves

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/12/08 11:47

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
08 Dec 2006 11:19 #98272 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Winterizing Question
Use the kick starter bud and just kick soft. its easier with your plugs out so you wont need too much muscle

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
08 Dec 2006 13:15 #98288 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Winterizing Question
If your bike is indoors, garaged, in a shed ect, as long as it's not out in the weather, no need to winterize except drain the gas and remove the battery. I'm sure humid parts of the country, winterizing is something to do, but here in Colorado it's dry as a bone. I know I catch flack every time I say this as I'm alone in my thoughts probably. I just got my KZ1000s out of the shed last summer after sitting 4 yrs and they started right up as I knew they would contrary to the popular opinion.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Dec 2006 16:55 #98326 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Winterizing Question
RonKZ650 wrote:

If your bike is indoors, garaged, in a shed ect, as long as it's not out in the weather, no need to winterize except drain the gas and remove the battery. I'm sure humid parts of the country, winterizing is something to do, but here in Colorado it's dry as a bone. I know I catch flack every time I say this as I'm alone in my thoughts probably. I just got my KZ1000s out of the shed last summer after sitting 4 yrs and they started right up as I knew they would contrary to the popular opinion.

i agree as long as its out of weather ive never seen the need to dump oil in cylinders.on draining the gas tank there is good points and bad points to either theory while draining the gas out of tank keeps it from turning to goo it also exposes the inside of tank to possible rust.while topping off tank will prevent rust you need to dump some fuel stabilizer in it.i definately reccomend running all the gas out of the carbs though;)

More
08 Dec 2006 17:46 #98344 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Winterizing Question
77KZ650 wrote:

I think sandy ment to turn it over by hand using the kick starter, not a wrench;) Use a wrench if you are checking timing or valves<br><br>Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/12/08 11:47

That's exactly what I meant.
With the plugs removed,You CAN use Your hand to turn the engine over with ease.
Heck...before You put anything into the cylinders,have a look inside while You turn it over,just to see what's goin on in there,and take a look at Your piston domes to see how things are burning.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
08 Dec 2006 18:13 #98350 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Winterizing Question

On draining the gas tank there is good points and bad points to either theory while draining the gas out of tank keeps it from turning to goo it also exposes the inside of tank to possible rust.

I've drained mine in the past, then put enough motor oil in it to coat the inside by turning the tank over and side to side . Every few weeks (or whenever) swish the tank around for a re-coat. Then in Spring, get rid of any excess, add fuel and your good to go.

This Winter it will be full with Sta-bil.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
11 Dec 2006 18:40 #99093 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Winterizing Question
Thanks for everyone's help. Leaving out the spark plugs and using the kick start to rotate the engine seemed to work best.