if it smells like oil in progress

• scooter_Z650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Nov 2005 14:29 #9669 by scooter_Z650
if it smells like oil in progress was created by scooter_Z650
Recall my earlier thread kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...iew/id,7927/catid,2/ - you guys are spot on!

Pulled the carbs and could see the residue from the oil seeping past the valve guide seals. After pulling the head, noticed a puddle of oil on #2 sitting in the valve recess area of the piston. Purchased a set of valve guide seals from APE and shop installed. Everything else meets specs so no need to fix what aint broken especially during the holidays.

Total cost (including parts/labor/head and valve cleaning etc.) $110 which is very pleasing to me. After bird day, will be reassembling but have a question or two.

1. original head gasket is all metal but my aftermarket is paper type - is there any concern here or tips?

2. what is used to hold the little rubber/plastic thingies (that sit on the cam chain guide shafts) when reassemble? You know the ones that sit inbetween the head and cylinders. Another thread said to use grease to hold in place.

Any useful comments would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2005 15:28 #9684 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic if it smells like oil in progress
If you run a bigger bore with high compression then you might have to use a copper gasket.

Grease is only used to hold the "cubes" in place so you don't lose them before you get the head back on.

Hope these answers are ok for the 650, I only have direct experience with the 903 and 1015. :unsure:

scooter_Z650 wrote:

1. original head gasket is all metal but my aftermarket is paper type - is there any concern here or tips?

2. what is used to hold the little rubber/plastic thingies (that sit on the cam chain guide shafts) when reassemble? You know the ones that sit inbetween the head and cylinders. Another thread said to use grease to hold in place.

Any useful comments would be appreciated.

• scooter_Z650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Nov 2005 08:51 #9821 by scooter_Z650
Replied by scooter_Z650 on topic if it smells like oil in progress
Yes, sounds about right. Got stock motor so standard gasket should be fine. Looks like those little cubes are destined to be dropped in the cam chain cavity :whistle: but we'll see.

Thanks