Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

z1 crank upgrade 23 Nov 2006 22:33 #94477

• wireman
  • wireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
has anybody ever had a z1 crank upgraded to big center pin,im also thinking about upgrading the rods is there any thing other than polishing beams and maybe shotpeening that can be done to stock rods to improve them?i was going to use a mkII crank for my turbo,but i really like the way the lighter cranks zing really fast:evil: ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 07:20 #94514

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

has anybody ever had a z1 crank upgraded to big center pin,im also thinking about upgrading the rods is there any thing other than polishing beams and maybe shotpeening that can be done to stock rods to improve them?i was going to use a mkII crank for my turbo,but i really like the way the lighter cranks zing really fast:evil: ;)

Do you think you really need that with a big cc turbo motor though?

Who's doing your cranks for you ?

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 08:15 #94519

• wireman
  • Visitor
i normally just have them checked and the pins welded .i was wondering is there any differance in the rods on the mkII crank strengthwise?this is gonna be more hi-end than most of my projects and i want to throw it on a dyno atleast once to see what i can wring out of it without picking parts up off ground afterwards!:evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/24 11:18

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 10:58 #94553

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Call and talk to Stan Gardner 207-664-0377

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 11:09 #94555

• kyradawg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey yall Im having the same issue with my project. I THINK i have decided to go with the lightweight Z1 crank but am unaware of the center pin differances as far as strength goes. If I use the J model pin I am assuming I would have to also run J model cam sporkets?

One other question about the cranks are all of the throughs pins removeable? In other words could I replace ALL of the pins if needed?

Peace&LoveB) , Darren

Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/11/24 14:29

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 13:24 #94576

• kyradawg
  • User
kyradawg wrote:

Hey yall Im having the same issue with my project. I THINK i have decided to go with the lightweight Z1 crank but am unaware of the center pin differances as far as strength goes. If I use the J model pin I am assuming I would have to also run J model cam sporkets?

One other question about the cranks are all of the throughs pins removeable? In other words could I replace ALL of the pins if needed?

Peace&LoveB) , Darren<br><br>Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/11/24 14:29

Anybody know about the pins?

Peace&Love:whistle: , Darren

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 13:45 #94581

• wireman
  • Visitor
APE Jay wrote:

Call and talk to Stan Gardner 207-664-0377

thank you sir,the personi was really waiting to here from!:P

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 14:00 #94584

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
kyradawg wrote:

Peace&LoveB) , Darren<br><br>Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/11/24 14:29

If you mean, can you just take the center pin out of one crank and put it in another, NO!! All of the 16 tooth center pins are aftermarket.

You could not use a J model center pin and cam sprockets in a KZ because you would have to run the hy-vo style chain and it would not work on the KZ tensioner sprockets.

Jay

z1 crank upgrade 24 Nov 2006 14:48 #94600

• kyradawg
  • User
Thanks Jay, but that is not quite what Im asking. What I am in the need to know is are ALL the pins in the crank removeable as in I trashed 4 rod bearings and pins could they all be replaced?

Peace&Love:dry: , Darren

• Page: