compression... 24 Nov 2006 15:25 #94613

• Duck
  • Duck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Pterosaur wrote:

Duck wrote:

...As an aside...Do you happen to know the density of the deuterium plasma in a Farnsworth neutron generator?

Depends on the target atom... ;)

Fusion of deuterium atoms (D + D) results in the formation of a He-3 ion and a neutron with a kinetic energy of approximately 2.5 MeV. Fusion of a deuterium and a tritium atom (D + T) results in the formation of a He-4 ion and a neutron with a kinetic energy of approximately 14.1 MeV.

Slower neutrons are a little more interesting and from what I read, D + D seems the be a bit easier for a garage project. So, lets go with that. Now, what sort of average mass density would one see in the containment volume?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

compression... 24 Nov 2006 15:31 #94616

• wireman
  • Visitor
Duck wrote:

Pterosaur wrote:

Duck wrote:

...As an aside...Do you happen to know the density of the deuterium plasma in a Farnsworth neutron generator?

Depends on the target atom... ;)

Fusion of deuterium atoms (D + D) results in the formation of a He-3 ion and a neutron with a kinetic energy of approximately 2.5 MeV. Fusion of a deuterium and a tritium atom (D + T) results in the formation of a He-4 ion and a neutron with a kinetic energy of approximately 14.1 MeV.

Slower neutrons are a little more interesting and from what I read, D + D seems the be a bit easier for a garage project. So, lets go with that. Now, what sort of average mass density would one see in the containment volume?

well duh!
Attachments:

compression... 24 Nov 2006 17:30 #94644

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Hey, that exploding head is a Cronenberg(Scanners) ripoff! What's with these folks who say, "Canadians aren't creative..."

How about telling us about alcohol in kz engines and what I should worry about if runnign e85 with those 13.5:1 pistons I was crazy enough to buy.

compression... 24 Nov 2006 17:56 #94652

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Duck wrote:

Since Wireman's head exploded in the last round, I'm fresh out of containment vessels for garage-type experiments...

BUT, courtesy of Los Alamos, we've got some ballpark numbers:

We will conclude that the most interesting regime of density is n ~1020 cm-3, which is high compared with MFE, but low compared with ICF. This density regime at 10 keV temperature corresponds to megabars of pressure (millions of atmospheres), which is intrinsically pulsed in nature.

(from...)

fusionenergy.lanl.gov/Documents/MTF/Why_...hy-MTF-Comments.html

So, safe to say, at something around a BILLION (with a captial B!) Atmospheres per cubic meter, we're waaaaay past 13.5:1 territory. I think I'd stick with 11:1 and run 110 Avgas... ;)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/11/24 20:59

compression... 24 Nov 2006 18:03 #94653

• wireman
  • Visitor
[img size=349]http://kzrider.com/components/com_joomlaboard/ / ah 13.5:1s!:evil: we run alcohal in the white flatbottem.it makes tons of horsepower but it does have issues ive noticed:ya need alcohal carbs,uses 2-3 times as much compared to gas,absorbs moisture like a sponge which really sucks with a boat motor so i dont reccomend leaving it in fuel tank or carbs,its harder to tune but it makes really cool white transarent flames!and makes lots of power:evil: :P [img size=349]http://kzrider.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/blown_540_rat-7f09b42cea067f26d5b32e56307d08f5.jpg[/img] ive got a picture of my ol man holding up a piston and rod showing what happens when things go wrong running it though in 540" bigblock chevy with a really big blower and lots of overdrive! :evil: :evil: :evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/24 22:31
Attachments:

compression... 24 Nov 2006 19:30 #94679

• wireman
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

ah 13.5:1s!:evil: we run alcohal in the white flatbottem.it makes tons of horsepower but it does have issues ive noticed:ya need alcohal carbs,uses 2-3 times as much compared to gas,absorbs moisture like a sponge which really sucks with a boat motor so i dont reccomend leaving it in fuel tank or carbs,its harder to tune but it makes really cool white transarent flames!and makes lots of power:evil: :P ive got a picture of my ol man holding up a piston and rod showing what happens when things go wrong running it though in 540" bigblock chevy with a really big blower and lots of overdrive! :evil: :evil: :evil: :P

ok thats better heres the 13:1 motor,the boat is around 8:1 ! :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/24 22:34
Attachments:

compression... 24 Nov 2006 19:31 #94681

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Wireman...thanks...

I'm curious about corrosion and damage to seals from running E85 and more so from running it and leaving the bike sit for a few days and running it and leaving the bike sit... Am I going to have to change my oil every three months F'REAL? Is the alcohol gonna make my carbs turn into a big pile of Aluminum Oxide?

compression... 24 Nov 2006 19:36 #94685

• wireman
  • Visitor
thats another problem with the alcohal it washes down the cylinders and waters down the oil really fast,and yes it will destroy carbs if not drained out of system.;)

compression... 24 Nov 2006 19:42 #94688

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have ~11.25:1 static compression (10.25:1 pistons and .040 off the head), Web 109 cams (lobe centers, 108 intake, 110 exhaust), and 10-40 ignition advancer. 93 octane (RON+MON)/2 pump gas is no problem. BTW, the pump gas in my area contains 10% ethanol.

Ron

compression... 24 Nov 2006 19:54 #94691

• kyradawg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Duck I believe that the stuff wireman is talking about is methanol and yes that is some pretty harsh shit. What we are talking about is Ethanol actually 85-90% ethanol and 10-15% gasoline it is like milk compared to methanol.

Like I said earlier with ethanol your jetting has to be enlarged to flow 30% more fuel not the 2-3 times needed for the methanol wireman speaks of.

With ethanol water absorbtion is not as big of an issue as it is with methanol. There is a very simple solution to eliminate water asorbtion and that is to simply keep the tank topped off.

It seems to me that those gas ported slugs youve got would be the heart of a killer E85 project, granted there is only one distributer of the "good stuff" in Atlanta so convience would not be the reason to do build the 13.5:1 engine but if its for fun I say go for it.

Peace&Love:P , Darren

Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/11/24 22:56

compression... 24 Nov 2006 21:41 #94727

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah that was methanol i was talking about,ive never seen the e-85 used in anything but a couple brand new cars.;)

• Page: