• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 22 Nov 2006 21:47 #94208

• Toge
  • Toge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, Please help me out this hell..
I purchased a Kz1000 LTD 1980 on ebay, and I had a test ride before I bought it, everything was good excepted fork seal; however, I had a huge problem these days. After I got the bike, I leave in my garage for one night, and I started the bike in another day, the bike was fine at the first day, but the second day, when I turned on the engine, the rpm was very low its almost shut it down.... and I turned the choke on again, it came miss fire on my exhuast. I have never seen the bike like that that I was so excited , but extremely worry it. It has been couple days when I have started engine. Tonight I tried to start my bike again, it had a huge miss fire again, and so loud. and I checked the engine oil, the oil was almost empty. Please tell me what to do with this bike.
Thank you
ps. I added the 93 octane gas on my bike 3 days ago. is affect on it?

Post edited by: Toge, at: 2006/11/23 01:00
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 22 Nov 2006 21:52 #94209

• wireman
  • Visitor
yep thats the spot,nice looking bike!B)

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 22 Nov 2006 22:56 #94237

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Keep in mind that the bike needs to be standing up straight when you check the oil, not on the side stand.
KD9JUR

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 22 Nov 2006 23:20 #94240

• rattler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
does it eventualy start up and idle right after it has warmed up? how long do you leave the choke on? is the bike real cold when u are trying to start it? is the poping coming out the header or the carbs? have you check your plugs.. what do they look like when you take them out?

the poping could be from a few things. it sound like its preigniting to me and poping out the ehaust. the electronic ignition timing could be off, the cam chain could have jumped a few teeth,carbs might be in need of a good cleaning or rebuild, or it could be something as simple as its sucking air from some were such as the rubber carb manifolds(holders) from be old and craked from drying out,or the header could be leaking at the cylinder.

these bike are cold natuared. i have to choke my pretty much every time i start it if it has been setting for a while. all the way out to start it and half in till the bike warms up and the head is nice and warm.

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 23 Nov 2006 06:09 #94270

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Nice looking bike! I suggest you put your bike year/model and location in your signature. If someone is close, they could lend a hand! I would also pick up a Clymer shop manual and change all fluids, lube the chain, replace the carb holders and do a full tune up and check brake pad wear before riding the bike.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 23 Nov 2006 08:44 #94301

• Toge
  • User
thank you for your suggestions.

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 23 Nov 2006 09:07 #94305

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Start the bike with choke on and let it run a few minutes. Idle when the idle starts to climb higher then you can close the choke. Carefully touch each of the header pipes to see if all 4 are getting hot (don't burn yourself). If you have some starter fluid you can spray some on the carb manifolds and see if the RPM's jump up. If they do then you have an air leak at the manifold and it will affect your engines operation. Don't freak out yet. It might be something very minor. You also have an adle adjust screw that is located underneath the carb, right in the middle. It might need to be increased a little.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 23 Nov 2006 19:32 #94447

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My bike takes up to 5 minutes to warm up to the point where I can shut the choke clear off. Very cold-blooded, but it's the nature of the beast. :(

KZ1000 LTD 1980, engine prob. 23 Nov 2006 21:31 #94461

• Toge
  • User
wow, really... so I might need to try more than 5 times to make the engine runs well....

• Page: