Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Slipping clutch on kz1000 '82 21 Nov 2006 07:12 #93707

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been riding my 82 kz1000 and the clutch slips when I'm going about 70mph in high gear, or at least that's where I notice it.

I have a spare engine that is sitting in the garage that the PO gave me with the bike. The top end is off but the clutch and such are still sealed behind the clutch cover.

Do you think a clutch that may have sat in the engine for 20 years is worth tyring, or should I buy new? If new, can you recommend a place to buy one?

I know of JC Whitney, DennisKirk. Jeff sells them the plates individually as well.

thanks
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Slipping clutch on kz1000 '82 21 Nov 2006 07:25 #93710

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
OK, So it's adjusted properly...

Take the old clutch parts out and measure the thickness as per the manual. If glazed, go over them with some wet(kerosene wet) emery paper or a stone and rinse well in kerosene. If any are under spec, you could rob from your other engine, but I would just head on over to the local salvage yard with my micrometer and get some out of one of the boneyard bikes. No sense robbing parts form an engine that might not need any work in that area. Nobody ever buys clutch disks so you should be able to get the whole stack for $5. Even new ones are cheap, but so am I so I'm a boneyard fan.

FYI heartless had some clutch cover gaskets cheap. might check and see if she has any left. Just in case the old one doesn't survive.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/11/21 10:27

Slipping clutch on kz1000 '82 21 Nov 2006 07:36 #93717

• craigpuckett
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
when I got my 81 CSR it had a slipping clutch,I adjusted it and it stopped slipping.

the adjustment is under the rectangle piece on the sprocket cover,loosten the lock nut and turn it in until you just feel resistance then back the screw out 1/4-1/2 turn and lock the nut.

Slipping clutch on kz1000 '82 21 Nov 2006 08:51 #93730

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks!

I think the ajustment is ok as I have already adjusted that, and I leave a little bit of slack in the cable.

I'll pull the ones out of the extra motor and see what I have got. It may be ok.

I'm thinking the PO put an anti-friction additive in the crankcase which caused the problem. I've since changed the oil with Valvoline (my favorite) and am riding it around town.

David

Slipping clutch on kz1000 '82 21 Nov 2006 15:16 #93830

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
I was going to ask if you possibly had the "E" oil in there.

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/11/21 18:21
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)
Attachments:

• Page: