Stripped the oil drain plug hole

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Nov 2006 06:51 #93424 by JR
Well it was the last ride of the season on Saturday morning. Took to bike out for a last blast before the usual winterizing. Drained the oil, removed and changed the filter and put it back and then as I'm screwing in the drain plug (not the filter bolt) it just went around and around. I did'nt even get to use the torque wrench. It must have been just on the edge of stripping.
Bummer.
I wrapped the drain plug with a bit of teflon tape, stuck a hose washer on the end, screwed it back in, filled with oil and put the bike in the shed where it will sit for the next four months.

In the meantime I have to figure out a fix. Did a search and see where I might be able to tap a new slightly larger hole and fit a 1/2 inch bolt

rstnick - if your reading this, Hows your repair holding up ?

Any other suggestions wellcome.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2006 08:00 #93440 by spinalator
Replied by spinalator on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole
The PO of my bike (aka mr muscles) stripped head bolts, the oil pan bolt, and a couple other ones that were needed to keep my feet on the bike, so nothing serious. ;)

My handy dandy machinist tapped a big, course thread bolt that was bigger, and used a nylon crush washer so it wouldn't leak. He had to run a bead of weld on the inside of the oil pan though, when I took it off and looked at it I thought it was toast, but he saved it. That was three years ago and has worked great for me. He does the same fix for tractors and oil equipment so it should hold well for a little motorbike engine.

More
20 Nov 2006 10:05 #93476 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole
either drill/re tap the hole and use a bigger plug, or put in a heli coil to use the same plug (you may want to do #2 if you have a magnetic plug)
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
20 Nov 2006 18:05 #93587 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole
Hey JR, sounded familiar as I was reading through. ;)

I've had no trouble this past season. Still using the oversized bolt as my drain. Each oil change I do, I re-wrap some plumbers tape making sure not to wrap to close to the tip of the bolt.
I did buy another complete oil pan over a year ago, but have not needed to change it so far.:whistle:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Nov 2006 18:51 #93602 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole
Thanks guys. That's great. Sounds like I have a few options and it's always good to have options. With a bit of luck and a bit of work she'll last another few years.
Cheers

More
21 Nov 2006 06:15 - 03 Dec 2008 11:26 #93697 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:26 by JMKZHI.

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Nov 2006 06:53 #93702 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole
JMKZHI wrote:

Someone else posted this link on another forum - it's a cheap & easy fix using a self-tapping plug. Gadgets fixes .

JMK.

Thanks JMKZHI
That sounds like it's worth a try. I'll see if I can find one.
I'll let you guys know in March how it all worked out.

More
21 Nov 2006 07:32 - 03 Dec 2008 11:32 #93715 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:32 by JMKZHI.

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Mar 2007 14:06 #123143 by JR
Fast forward 4 months to today when I pulled the bike out of the shed. The fix recommended by JMKZHI was self tapping 12 x 1.75 oil drain plug which was designed for just my problem. I picked one up a few months back and was confidant it would work, Unfortunately it did'nt. I'm sure it would have if the original drain plug was still in the bike but somewhere between 1980 and 2003 a PO probably buggered it up and so to make a long story short the drain plug I had in the bike was a 1/2 inch. So there went plan B which was to tap a 1/2 inch hole and fit a 1/2 inch plug.

To make another long story short I eventually ended up with this thingy - see photo - part #265240 from OIL-TITE. Universal winged drain plug. I wondered if there would be enough clearance since the shaft is quite a bit longer than the old bolt so I stuck a screwdriver up the hole and there seemed to be enough room. Anyway, took the chance and fitted the new winged plug and before starting the engine I turned the crank over a few times using the 17mm nut under the timing cover just to make sure it was'nt going to run afoul of moving parts. Got the rest of the bike back together and fired her up. So far so good. No strange sounds when I put her into first gear. I hav'nt run it up and down the street yet but will later.

Right now it's just good hand tight and I figure I'll be checking it befoe and after every ride from some time to come....while I look for an oil pan on ebay.

What do you think folks ? Does anybody have any experience with these things ?

Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2007 16:00 #123159 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole- update
Never seen one of those before, neat idea for a quick fix though. If you are worried about the length it's easy to cut something that small down with a dremel and cutoff wheel or on a grinder, just make the end of it neat and you wont have any trouble screwing it back in. Since its already installed I'm thinking you are about done with that stuff though. Personally I'd probably want to tap a new bigger bolt in there for peace of mind. I've seen kits for transmissions (cars of course) as well so you can add a drain plug, you would need someone to weld the nut to the inside of the pan. On the other hand if it works....

Ron

More
24 Mar 2007 16:26 #123164 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole- update
Is heli-coil no longer an option? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Mar 2007 16:36 #123165 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Stripped the oil drain plug hole- update
I have not tried those before but I'd say if the bolt on that seems a bit long you can probably cut it off as long as you have a nut threaded on there to straighten the threads back out.