Smoke rings in the morning

More
20 Nov 2006 06:10 #93415 by SuperTrey
Smoke rings in the morning was created by SuperTrey
My '78 1000a has started puffing a little smoke in the mornings on first crank up. It doesn't do it everytime, but it will blow for a minute or two until it gets a little warm.
The motor has about 46,000 miles on it and it had been rebuilt around 18,000 or so by the first owner (i am the second owner). I treat it kindly and don't rip around too much.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2006 07:07 #93427 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Smoke rings in the morning
Most likely, the valve stem oil seals have hardened and are allowing some excess oil to seep down into the combustion chamber where it burns when you start the bike. You MAY also have worn valve guides... It is likely that the bike would benefit from having the cylinder head pulled and new oil seals installed and the guides checked but if it is running well otherwise, you may wish to live with the puffs of smoke for awhile as it doesn't hurt much...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Nov 2006 07:31 #93432 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic Smoke rings in the morning
I haven't noticed any performance issues, it is just a little embarrassing to have that cloud come out of the garage with me in the mornings!

More
20 Nov 2006 08:30 #93453 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Smoke rings in the morning
Like George said,I too would suspect the valve-guide seals to be dried and hard.
The parts are cheap,but the head would have to come off,...unless You know of a way of removing the valve springs with the head on?:whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Nov 2006 08:48 #93460 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Smoke rings in the morning
Sandy wrote:

the head would have to come off,...unless You know of a way of removing the valve springs with the head on?:whistle:

use air, compressed air that is. it works on cars, I helped a guy at the local strip take out a broken valve spring on his 526ci blown alcohol motor with the head on the motor, and it being hooked up to compressed air. just make sure the piston is at TDC. another way is to put a length of cord/rope down the plug hole, and compress it up into the combustion chamber, having a buddy hold tension on the crank to hold the valves in place while you take out the springs
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
20 Nov 2006 08:57 #93467 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Smoke rings in the morning
From the archives on changing valve guide seals without removing the head --

www.kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=745

Details about the "rope" method referenced in the above link are probably in a different thread (believed to involve pushing a sufficient amount of rope through the spark hole to hold the valve closed while compressing the spring :unsure: )

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
20 Nov 2006 09:00 #93468 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Smoke rings in the morning
What do you use to compress the valve spring with the head still installed? Are they easy enough to push down on with your body weight?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
20 Nov 2006 15:33 #93542 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Smoke rings in the morning
Kent,yes...You can remove the springs with the head on,but the problem is going to be when You have to reinstall the valve-keepers...that'll be tricky.
Unless Someone had a set-up for holding the spring down,so You can use TWO hands to worm Your way in there with the keepers...not gonna be easy.I think unless Someone has an absolute hassle-free way of doing it with the head on...??...:whistle: ...You're better off pulling it.
Any spring compressing tool that I've seen,has to be mated with the compression dome on the underside of the head,in order to compress(like a "C-Clamp").
Using the rope IS a good idea,and even compressed air,but that's the EASY part,compared to reinstalling the keepers!:ohmy: :angry: :huh: :S

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2006/11/20 18:33

1977 KZ1000 A-1
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1