Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

750 turbo cams/ general ideas for turbo 19 Nov 2006 23:09 #93383

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
OK, just running a few ideas through my head, and thought it might be a good discussion topic.
My understanding of this topic is, generally speaking, turbo motors dont "need" as radical a cam profile as a NA motor to make big HP, and long duration cams arent desired because they let too much boost to escape into the exhaust. So ideally a cam that is close to stock duration, but higher lift would be great if you are adding a turbo, correct?
Now, the 750 turbo uses the same cams as the kz650, not the kz750 or gpz750. do you think this was a cheap and easy way to get shorter duration cams? I would think that the best cams for the application would have been cams with "750 lift" and "650 duration". however it would have been a big expense to make a bunch of new design cams for just a little bit more power right? that leads me to another idea, for the drag racers who spend bucket loads of money for more power, would regrinding the "hottest" cams that fit (the gpz750) to the 650 duration, and leaving the higher lift be something to try? spend the extra money that kawasaki didnt? (Lorcan?) (anyone else try this?)
Comments, lets hear them:)
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

750 turbo cams/ general ideas for turbo 19 Nov 2006 23:37 #93388

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
That's pretty much what I've got in my alcohol engine, although mine are profiled for maximum lift to remain as long as possible. The profile I use came from an 80s F1 car. The downside of that is the steeper ramping of the cam means they will wear quite quickly. Fine for a racebike but not for the street. I'm pretty sure Megacycle Cams (or another cam company) could so something suitable for the street though. Kent Cams in the UK will do you a pair of cams to whatever spec you want.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: