Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000J ring sealing 19 Nov 2006 12:44 #93208

• steell
  • steell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Ok, the GPz750 project bike is suffering it's 47th change of direction.
I now have a 1000 CSR motor on the way (real soon anyway), and I have been contemplating some additional power upgrades to apply to it next winter. My cuurent (47th) plan is to put the CSR 1000 motor in it, get the EFI dialed in on a stock motor, then do the power upgrade next winter.

I can get a Wiseco 1075 10.25:1 kit for it for $300, but I have read references to thin cylinder walls and lost ring seal with the stock J model motors. If this is the case then I can only assume that boring it to 1075 would only make the problem worse.
Is this a common problem? Or only happening to bikes that are consistently raced?

Do the GPz/KZ1100 cylinder blocks have the same problem? If not, then a GPz/KZ1100 cylinder block with a 1105 kit would seem like a decent solution.

This gives me almost a year to procure the parts at cheap prices, saving $$ on parts takes time :)
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000J ring sealing 19 Nov 2006 21:38 #93359

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
The 1076 kit for the 1000J is a very reliable kit that holds good ring seal if the cylinder is prepared correctly.
We have done many of these for area police departments including CHP.

It is the 1105 for the 1000J that shouldn't be used. We have told them on several occasions, but they still produce it.

Be sure the kit you can get for $300 is a K1076 for the 1000J, and not the K1075 for the KZ.

Jay

KZ1000J ring sealing 19 Nov 2006 22:12 #93365

• steell
  • User

Be sure the kit you can get for $300 is a K1076 for the 1000J, and not the K1075 for the KZ.

It is, it's a one shot deal.
A friend of mine is a motorcycle machinist, and a couple of years ago he ordered this kit for a guy. But unfortunately the guy crashed his KZ1000J and was killed. And he had never paid for the kit.
This guy is actually a Nationally known Husky expert, and restores Huskies to showroom condition for people (Husqvarna motorcycles that is, not dogs). He does machine work for other bikes to make ends meet (one man shop).

I have mentioned that this kit was available for $300 several times here, but no one was ever interested enough to call him (not as of a couple of months ago anyway, I forgot to ask him about it the last few times I have seen him).

I assume you were warning me because the price is below dealer cost, but it's just an unusual circumstance.

Thanks for the info Jay, I always figure you know what you are talking about, considering the enormous amount of experience you have.

I'll have to check with him tomorrow and see if he still has it.

I also just acquired a KZ1100 cylinder block off a 85 KZ1100, and I assume it would bolt on and handle the 1105 (K1106 kit) quite well if I decided to go that way?

if the cylinder is prepared correctly.

Hmm, are you saying it takes something out of the ordinary?
If this is something you would rather not explain, I understand, you don't want to give away a competitive edge :)

Not that I am a competitor (not hardly, since I don't do work for anyone else) :laugh:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/20 01:18
KD9JUR

KZ1000J ring sealing 20 Nov 2006 15:13 #93537

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
I was just cautioning you about it in case it was a K1075. Then you would not be able to use it and is would then not be such a great deal.

As for the cylinder preparation comment, when I tell you guys stuff that we have done that works, that is based on stuff WE DID. I wouldn't want you to take our word for it, drag your stuff down to " Jakes Automotive machine Shop", get it back and it is a smoker and you think "those guys at APE don't know what they are talking about."

Not interested in getting the bore job, just wanted to clarify what I meant.

KZ1000J ring sealing 20 Nov 2006 16:22 #93554

• steell
  • User
I do the machining on my 750 twin stuff myself, but that's because I have plenty of spare blocks and heads and it don't make any difference if I screw one up (I am not a professional machinist).
Since I only have one 998 block and one 1100 block, I'll let my buddy the professional motorcycle machinist do the work on those :D

I refuse to do any machine work for anyone else because I am just a hobbyist, if I screw up my stuff it's no big deal, if I screw up someone else's stuff they take it serious :evil:
KD9JUR

• Page: