Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 17 Nov 2006 15:16 #92826

• wireman
  • Visitor
usually when things get quiet and start running good it a sign thats its time for me to get rid of it,or get ready for a rebuild!:blink: :S impending destruction!:P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 17 Nov 2006 15:53 #92837

• Biquetoast
  • Biquetoast's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
geerbangr wrote:

If the noise went away the problem fixed itself(that's the way my dumbass boss thinks)....

I'm actually starting to think this might be it. It ran great and quiet all the way home. I think it even runs a little better than before. There seems to be more low-end torque...

Tell me if this is crazy, but it's my working theory: one valve was stuck a teeny bit open, perhaps obstructed by carbon or whatever, but that made the excessive valve clearance noise. So, perhaps the mysterious piece of carbon burned away all-of-a sudden and now the valve closes correctly, the valve clearance is back in spec, and it's quiet.

Yes/no?
:unsure:
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 17 Nov 2006 15:59 #92839

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
This is just me. If it seems to run better, then ride it. Worry about it when you can't ride because of the weather. Until then let the miles unroll beneath you. We, or at least I, am riding a 27 year old motorcycle. I could worry every second about every little noise it makes but mostly I just like riding. If I want something completely worry-free to ride I better buy something made in this century. I say enjoy! Live, laugh amd smile.;)
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 17 Nov 2006 17:45 #92851

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Biquetoast wrote:

geerbangr wrote:

If the noise went away the problem fixed itself(that's the way my dumbass boss thinks)....

I'm actually starting to think this might be it. It ran great and quiet all the way home. I think it even runs a little better than before. There seems to be more low-end torque...

Tell me if this is crazy, but it's my working theory: one valve was stuck a teeny bit open, perhaps obstructed by carbon or whatever, but that made the excessive valve clearance noise. So, perhaps the mysterious piece of carbon burned away all-of-a sudden and now the valve closes correctly, the valve clearance is back in spec, and it's quiet.

Yes/no?
:unsure:

I don't know, that's a lot of pounding for a bit of carbon to take for two years. But...
Once I jumped a timing sprocket on a Dodge 318. (200,000 miles on it). Replaced the timing parts to find out one valve was slightly bent. I was all bummed out. My Dad said to just drive it. Eventually the valve seated itself and the car was as smooth as ever. Literally it ran like new after about 6 months. Every now and then, if I over revved it, the valve would rotate and become un-seated because it wasn't in the proper orientation. It would idle rough for a few miles until the valve re-oriented itself. Then it would be back to running like new. I got another 100,000 miles out of it that way.

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 17 Nov 2006 17:50 #92852

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Maybe with the temperature and the probability the air was dense with moisture due to being at or near the dew point somehow, someway some bad carbon build up blew off one of the valves or head?

Just in case I'd keep those clutch fingers ready if it decides to lock up on you! :ohmy:

If not drop a coin in the fountain for the manna from heaven.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 20 Nov 2006 18:15 #93589

• FlyingSlow
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Your running 87 octane gas. That's the hottest burning gas you can buy. In the summer you are sucking in the hottest air you can. Detination(pinging) usually happens when the torque load is the greatest on the engine. This is usually at low rpms. It is now getting cooler so one of the variables has changed enough to eliminate the detonation. When it gets hot again you can change the other by using 91 octane fuel that burns cooler.

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 20 Nov 2006 18:45 #93600

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
FlyingSlow wrote:

Your running 87 octane gas....

First, welcome to the site!

..And thanks for the advice. However, I'm 100% certain it wasn't pinging (detonation). And as an aside, I have tried to run higher octane in the past, and all I got was excess carbon build-up and soggy performance! :blink: :laugh:
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 20 Nov 2006 18:47 #93601

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm thinking gas and temp too. Looks like you can only ride the bike when it's 35 out. I think I'd make one of those snow scooters out of it!:blink: :pinch:

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 20 Nov 2006 18:52 #93603

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
ambergrismooon wrote:

I'm thinking gas and temp too. Looks like you can only ride the bike when it's 35 out. I think I'd make one of those snow scooters out of it!:blink: :pinch:

Alright, now that's funny.
Actually, I'm gonna squeeze a couple more commutes out of it tomorrow and Wednesday before the holiday. It should be around 30F or so in the morning... :blink: :( :lol:
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Engine noise suddenly disappeared....? 20 Nov 2006 21:34 #93655

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Over the next few days we are supposed to have record warm temps here. High 60s tomorrow, 76 on Wednesday and the warmest Turkey day on record they are saying 73.The previous record being 70. VROOM VROOM!
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: