Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Heads 17 Nov 2006 15:41 #92834

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Wireman...

Ill be it was fun!:)

I did a 1260 motor like that for a guy once. Long story that one is.....Anyway, the bike was and 82GP11....That dam 1260 motor was the biggest pain in my a$$. Oh it ran great...just liked to develop oil leaks. Get one stopped and another would spurt somewhere...:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heads 17 Nov 2006 19:26 #92867

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wireman wrote:
its being copied basically off of the motor that was in this bike,yeah it was a riot to try and keep in straight line!:P[/quote]

hell, man, it's gonna be 80% your parts anyways!

8^)

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Heads 17 Nov 2006 19:39 #92871

• wireman
  • Visitor
i did the math its like 83.7% my parts,oh well ill dig up more ! :P go over to joes and tell him i told ya to grab what you need for your project,and grab that bigblock and head and valve cover for me so we can mock up that topend to light a fire under our collective arses!:evil: :P

Heads 17 Nov 2006 19:47 #92874

• solomrus
  • User
that's what i had hoped for by going with the 29's. i want it responsive, but no need for the big flow of 34's.

you pretty much summed up what i am planning to do for the port work. clean up the runners, match inlets to the 29's with a good taper(not TOO much), try to hit the 29mm csa that you talked about in your other posting, mild bowl re-work, and pulling the throat out. i was planning for 88-90%. 8^)

no real plan for more carbs later on.

here's my reality with the parts selection: wireman is putting up the parts for me... the 435s were clanking around under his bed, the block, heads, pistons are doing mock-up duty, so they might as well be put to use in my engine. i'll be picking up sleeves, rings, and top end seals/gaskets.

setting up an oil cooler, and the rest is chassis work.

durability is priority 1 on this engine. it's hauling my ass and some cargo out to norcal for the motogp. i'd like it to bring me back as well. 8^) it's gonna be geared tall to eat miles. i'm projecting average speeds between 70-90mph.

larry, if i am anywhere near your location on this trip, even if i am just passing thru, i will INSIST that you take it for a spin.

it's gonna have a modern suspension on it when i am done, a less-intense frame gusseting program than wire's, 17" wheels, usd forks, radial brakes... eventually it will probably even be injected.

more info on that project in the project section.

--r

larrycavan wrote:

I see your situation with the carbs. Neither set is ideal. The 29's should yield excellent throttle response on that setup. IMO, 38's are entirelly too big for 900 port runners.

With those cams, you've got enough curtain area and flow with a stock head for roughly 7800RPM Peak HP RPM.

Now, unless you plan on going with more carb later on, there's not really much port work needed. It sounds to me like you've ported before. You could clean up the casting lines, shape the bowl a tad bit and match the seats to the ports. I'd definitely go 90% on the throat size. IMO, you could actually get away with less cam for what your goal is for the motor. K410's are about perfect for your goal.

I guess it's getting to sound like I'm a K410 fanatic or something. It's not the case. There are 2 primary reasons I've been coming back to that grind.

1. It's the right cam numerically for the application.
2. APE has been around a good long while and I hope they continue to be. There's still life in these old 2V KZ motors, there's still a market for performmance parts.

Anyway...that's how I see it.....I'd love to take the bike for a ride when it's finished...should be lots of fun.

Larry C

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Heads 17 Nov 2006 19:52 #92877

• solomrus
  • User
wireman wrote:

i did the math its like 83.7% my parts,oh well ill dig up more ! :P go over to joes and tell him i told ya to grab what you need for your project,and grab that bigblock and head and valve cover for me so we can mock up that topend to light a fire under our collective arses!:evil: :P

right on man! i think i am gonna go out to joe's in the morning, pick my swingarm up, grab your stuff, then roll back in. i'm hoping to get 3, maybe 4 hours of work in on your frame, maybe some mock-up on mine as well.

we'll take a few photos with your mock-block, and show some folks that it's gonna be happenin soon.

i'll call you tomorrow, and let you know what my time frame is looking like.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Heads 17 Nov 2006 20:04 #92881

• wireman
  • Visitor
cool;) i need some progress pics to fire me back up!:P

Heads 18 Nov 2006 15:04 #92989

• solomrus
  • User
wireman wrote:
its being copied basically off of the motor that was in this bike,yeah it was a riot to try and keep in straight line!:P[/quote]

hell, man, it's gonna be 80% your parts anyways!

8^)

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four