boring cases for big pistons

More
11 Nov 2006 20:04 #91337 by cary
boring cases for big pistons was created by cary
How big a of a pain is is it to bore cases on a J model bottom end to do big cc pistons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2006 20:31 #91350 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic boring cases for big pistons
if you have to bore the actual cases to clear bigger sleeves youll need to strip motor down to cases and figure out just how much you need to remove.depending on how much you need to remove you might be able to do it at home with a die grinder.;)

More
11 Nov 2006 23:02 #91368 by cary
Replied by cary on topic boring cases for big pistons
well, the bike'll be stripped down any way.... may as well do it right. While I have it open, I may try and weld the crank.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2006 05:01 #91386 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic boring cases for big pistons
Take the top case with the cylinder studs removed to a good machine shop. Since you're installing large sleeves in the block, you need that machined anyway. Have all the work done at the same place. I would not suggest hacking away on the top case with a hand grinder. Do it right the first time...it costs far less in the end..

JMO

Larry C

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2006 08:36 #91418 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic boring cases for big pistons
larrycavan wrote:

Take the top case with the cylinder studs removed to a good machine shop. Since you're installing large sleeves in the block, you need that machined anyway. Have all the work done at the same place. I would not suggest hacking away on the top case with a hand grinder. Do it right the first time...it costs far less in the end..

JMO

Larry C

hes obviously never seen wireman with a die grinder before:evil: ive been known to grind lots and lots of welds and make things look like one molded piece of metal that started as many pieces without using anything other than a die grinder and welder including many frames and swingarms and engines and cylinder heads that look like one big continuous piece of aluminum.not everybody gets as anal retentive as i do but it can be done,just take your time and work slow you can clearance those cases fairly easily.
Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2006 14:48 #91463 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic boring cases for big pistons
This should be done by a shop that has a case boring fixture for that motor. This will assure that the holes are exactly on location.

We use those fixtures.

Jay