18000 mile engine bike maintinence

More
10 Nov 2006 09:13 #91018 by nosbearatu
18000 mile engine bike maintinence was created by nosbearatu
So I bought a '81 KZ550A and have been driving it a couple of weeks and I am wondering what services should be done to the bike at this point in time. I have no service history and no owners manual. The first thing i did was change the oil and filter, but have done nothing more. The thing that concerns me the most is the oil leaks at the top of the engine where there is a cover for what I assume are the cam shafts. There are 4 half circle portions of this top cover (2 on each side) which is where the oil is leaking. Is this something that I should be concerned about or just a seal that needs replacing when i check the valve clearences.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2006 09:27 #91026 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic 18000 mile engine bike maintinence
Unless the oil is pouring out, don't be immediately concerned...watch your oil level and change them when you check your valve adjustments...and welcome to KZR!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Nov 2006 16:55 #91299 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 18000 mile engine bike maintinence
Welcome to KZr nosbearatu! :)
(nosbearatu = king of the bear vampires? :huh: ).

Like Mcdroid said, unless oil is actually pouring/spurting out, it's really not something to be over concerned about. The most you have to contend with if they're leaking, is the mess from oil getting baked onto the engine and sprayed on your pant legs. :pinch:

Those half circle portions are called the cam plugs. And on most bikes are a notorious point for developing leaks, even if thoroughly and meticulously sealed up.

If they're not leaking a lot (ie: not leaving a trail of oil down the sides of the engine or squirting pedestrians on the sidewalks as you drive by :whistle:), then you can address it when you check the valve clearances.

First off I would suggest obtaining a Factory Service Manual. Or at the very least, a Clymers brand repair manual. Or like a lot of members here have done, get both of them!
The FSM lists most things in a fairly technical fashion, and the Clymers manual tends to have things listed in a much simplier and user friendly format.
The Clymer manual will also list tips/tricks to tackle particular problems that the FSM simply won't list - sort of like getting tips from a neighbor who's been a mechanic even before fire was discovered. ;)

Both manuals will list periodic service intervals for your bike.
Not knowing the history on your bike though, I would recommend going over your entire bike from front to bike and all points in between.
Not just for mechanical reasons either. Since how the bike stops/steers/etc is just as, if not more important IMHO than how well it runs.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
12 Nov 2006 05:29 #91389 by nosbearatu
Replied by nosbearatu on topic 18000 mile engine bike maintinence
Thanks everyone, I had pretty much came to the same conclusion to do all the required services. I have the Haynes manual for the bike which the previous owner gave me, though I'm particularly impressed with it (it doesn't appear to be as good as the haynes manual for my car). Are the Clymer manuals better?

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
12 Nov 2006 09:25 #91424 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 18000 mile engine bike maintinence
nosbearatu wrote:

I have the Haynes manual for the bike which the previous owner gave me, though I'm particularly (un?)impressed with it (it doesn't appear to be as good as the haynes manual for my car). Are the Clymer manuals better?

A resounding yes IMHO!
Haynes puts out decent auto manuals, but for some reason their motorcycle manuals lack the same quality and ease of understanding.
I think their cycle manuals are actually penned by someone who is illiterate and the pics in it were submmited by someone who is color blind and has poor depth perception. :laugh:

There are a few (very few) members here on the board who actually like the Haynes manual. But the rest of us I think split about 50/50 in preference to using the FSM vs the Clymers manuals.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ