Metal in oil

More
09 Nov 2006 19:17 #90905 by baldy110
Metal in oil was created by baldy110
This is not a KZ issue but I hope someone here can help. I have an old Honda XR500R dirtbike and on it's last oil change I found aluminum particles in the oil. I tore the engine down, split the cases, cleaned everything up and found what I thought was the source of the metal. The previous owner had allowed the cam chain to get loose and it had been rubbing on the side of the case. Well I cleaned everything up and put it back to together. I am still getting and lot of metal in the oil. I tore it down again and I cannot find where the engine is making the metal.
Anyone have any ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Nov 2006 22:05 #90936 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Metal in oil
Are you talking chunks or bitts or silver oil?a silver color to the oil could be clutch plate??

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 Nov 2006 00:09 #90960 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Metal in oil
It's entirely possible that you got the source, but residual metal was missed in your cleaning - there weren't a lot of details about how you went about that. Powdered aluminum is pesky stuff - it'll hang up in odd spots and not come out all at once.

Might be worth getting a couple of filters and a couple change's worth of cheep-o oil, do a change, run it awhile, do another change and see if the quantity of metal in the oil tails off...

More
10 Nov 2006 06:10 #90976 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Metal in oil
I second that! residual metal is still in the engine, so i reccomend some engine flushes. I gave my bike 2 oil changes in the 3 months i got it, after I rebuilt the engine to be sure it got its memories of the previous owner out of its cylinders.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
10 Nov 2006 17:56 #91120 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Metal in oil
I thought the same thing regarding the residual metal so I split the cases and cleaned everything. I even took all the gears off ther shafts and cleaned everything. It was spotless when I put is all back together.
I also thought it might be the clutch plates but I have seen a lot of oil contaminated by clutch plate residue and this aint it. I am getting very small slivers of aluminum. You can see it floating around in the oil and it settles on the bottom of the container. This bike does not have an oil filter, I wish it did it would make finding the source easier. Honda simply put in a small screen right before the oil pump pickup
Now what has me really confused is the amount of metal. After the first rebuild, yes I have taken this thing apart four times in the last month I fired up the engine and ran it for about 30 seconds. I drained the oild and there was a laot of metal in just 30 seconds of running. You would think that the source would be pretty easy to spot with the amount of metal it was making but so far I can't find it. I have been rebuilding all types of motorcycle engines for a long time and this one has me stumped.

Post edited by: baldy110, at: 2006/11/10 20:58

Post edited by: baldy110, at: 2006/11/10 20:58

Post edited by: baldy110, at: 2006/11/10 20:59

More
10 Nov 2006 19:33 #91133 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Metal in oil
To me slivers indicate a shearing action, so I would take a look at rotating parts that are close to aluminum, like gears and crank.

KD9JUR

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
10 Nov 2006 20:59 #91152 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Metal in oil
do u have a oil cooler it could be in there.
just slowly working its way out.

More
11 Nov 2006 15:24 #91279 by baldy110
No oil cooler either.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2006 15:44 #91284 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Metal in oil
baldy110 wrote:

...Now what has me really confused is the amount of metal. After the first rebuild, yes I have taken this thing apart four times in the last month I fired up the engine and ran it for about 30 seconds. I drained the oild and there was a laot of metal in just 30 seconds of running. You would think that the source would be pretty easy to spot with the amount of metal it was making but so far I can't find it. I have been rebuilding all types of motorcycle engines for a long time and this one has me stumped.

Yowza.

(Noted the lack of oil filter and clutch residue...)

You'd think that amount of metal - and the type - shavings and such - *especially* in a 30 second-run time frame - that the motor would have sounded like a coffee grinder chewing on a coconut.

Gotta go with Steell - *something* ain't right in there.

Even the most experienced screw up from time to time - saw a wrench left in an oil pan one time by a guy I'da swore would never have done it.

Best advice I can come up with at this stage is to tear her down again and look for fresh marks in the innards - if it's eating itself from the inside out like that, there's gonna be clues somewhere...

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
13 Nov 2006 17:13 #91831 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Metal in oil
im with Pterosaur.maybee you coul post pics of the tare down and let everyone see.moooore eyes may help.:woohoo:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
13 Nov 2006 17:36 #91843 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Metal in oil
Yes. If you are still getting metal check your camshaft. I have an FT500 ad it's pretty much the same engine. The camshaft journals are cut into the head. There are no bearings inserts. Much like the Suzuki GS1000. There is a large channel for oil. Lose oil pressure in the head, even for a little while, and you'll gall the beejezus out of the journals. A good used head rus abotu $200. If your rockers(no loger available) and the rest of the head are good, you can get a roller bearing kit put in for about the same $ and know what you've got. Better than a used unless you ca see before you buy.

BTW, I need a good cylinder head but only have $100 for it :-)

More
14 Nov 2006 19:51 #92198 by baldy110
Not the cam journals either. That was the first thing I suspected. Cam and journals are in great shape. I cannot find any place in the engine the looks like rubbing except for the cam chain tunnel and I know I fixed that problem.