Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil

More
19 Nov 2005 19:19 #9079 by dbroten
Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil was created by dbroten
Got a '79KZ650SR last year (20,000 miles) and have decided to complete a valve adjustment to get it running just as smoothly as I can. Have already had the cam chain adjusted. Any suggestions for what to watch out for? Also using synthetic Amsoil in the engine. Any comments on that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2005 21:37 #9108 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil
The synthetic issue has come up here before, do a search to see what was discussed. I'm using Castrol Syntec Synthetic, no problems, but I did notice smoother shifting.

More
20 Nov 2005 12:01 #9190 by Cactus
Replied by Cactus on topic Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil
Shim check and valve chain slack are standard 5000kms maintainance on the zeds. Semi synth and fully synth work fine on mine, so I've been on fully synth for a few months now, I always buy oil up to the G or L standard, check out the back of the can.

More
22 Nov 2005 17:53 #9706 by dbroten
Replied by dbroten on topic Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil
Fossil and Cactus:

Thanks for the comments. I'll see how things go. Can't wait for spring!

More
22 Nov 2005 18:06 #9712 by Warthog
Replied by Warthog on topic Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil
Here is a stupid question.

Isn't the cam chain adjustment on the 79 automatic. If so how do you adjust it? I have a 79 KZ650 and I would like to know if I need to adjust my cam chain.

This message brought to you by Hotdog

More
23 Nov 2005 19:05 #9921 by dbroten
Warthog: My understanding is that the cam chain is not automatically adjustable. I remember reading about it in the manual I obtained and I had my mechanic do some adjusting on it so I think it is non-automatic. I am always ready to be corrected, however. Good question, though.

More
23 Nov 2005 19:22 #9927 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Valve Adjustment and Synthetic Oil
The 1979 models are automatic. This is assuming the original tensioner is still on the engine. You can tell by looking at your tensioner. If the 10mm head bolt on the side of it is tightened up flush with the body it is a 1979 or newer auto type. If it has a 10mm head bolt that shows several threads and has a 10mm jamnut securing it to the tensioner its a 1978 or older manual type. The manual is the better tensioner, has more adjustment range for worn out camchains. The automatic is fine for a good camchain which should be at least 80,000 miles.
dbroten wrote:

Warthog: My understanding is that the cam chain is not automatically adjustable. I remember reading about it in the manual I obtained and I had my mechanic do some adjusting on it so I think it is non-automatic. I am always ready to be corrected, however. Good question, though.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Nov 2005 11:23 #10170 by dbroten
Ron: Thanks for the input. I will look at the tensioner and see what it is like. This is why I always say: "...it is my understanding that..." Thanks again!