Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 16:17 #88926

• cableman30
  • cableman30's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a 78 kz1000 with vance and hines header, its always been fast, but when i removed the baffle its like twice the power. is this legal for street use, it sound like a top alcohol funny car at when idling, i set off car alarms everywhere, what a blast:P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 16:24 #88927

• wireman
  • Visitor
id being willing to bet it just sounds faster.youre giving up a lot of bottem end torque without that baffle which is what a streetbike really needs,youre also leaning out the motor unless you fatten up your carbs to match.;)

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 17:13 #88938

• OneShoe50
  • User
  • 10-4? 10-4!
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah but it sounds really cool and upsets the neighbors when you go to work at 6:30 in the morning :evil:

And like wireman said, watch out for lean conditions that will cook the pistons.

Yeah but,.......:)
77 KZ1000A1 - Under going a psuedo ELR overhaul
79 KE175 (gone)
81 KZ550A2 (gone)
81 KZ750E (gone)

Sure it looks OK now, but wait until I really make it pretty, with some chrome and paint and some new tires and grips and the wiring. Don't forget the gearing, and the LED's and, and, and....

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 18:05 #88953

• mbsween
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've run my 83 L3 (V&H pipe) with and without th baffle (just to see what it was like).

Like they said, no power down low and way too loud on the gas. I wouldn't say it was noticeably faster.

I have a neighbor who sometimes rides a Z900 with no pipe at all, the header just dumps out under the oil pan. Its way loud, not sure if it performs at all. looks strange with no pipe on either side

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 22:12 #88992

• wireman
  • Visitor
i used to run my 1st z1 like that with no megaphone when i was a kid,i always thought it was quieter without the megaphone to amplify the noise.ah youth! :evil: :P

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 22:50 #89001

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I had 4 sraight pipes about one and a quarter inch dia. on my 900 and it had torque and the torque was good and strong. My dad made those pipes out of aluminum when he owned the bike. I pulled the baffles out and the bike had lots more power. I put them back in and lost the power. I made a 4into2 system using 14in. extension pipes welded to the ends of the stock pipes, and 2.5in. dia. collector tubes that were 12in. long. The bike picked up power right from the get go and top end power was great too. It's loud so i made baffles and never made it to work yet on the bike and was already bored with the damn loss in power. What i did, somehow was the right thing to do and i doubt a 4-1 header would beat this system since it has a baffle. If the pipes are too small it'll choke the engine, if they are too big the scavenging goes to crap. When you see a long skinny header its for the best of both worlds. When the exhaust gas hits the collector the air speed cant slow too much (have too much space to dissipate to the atmosphere) or the charge wont pull the next pulse along. If your engine makes enough power, torque will not be an issue as it will be signifigant anyway. Awide open pipe is an exeption since there is absolutely no back pressure at all and the charge falls out the exhaust port and splatters onto the driveway. This set up results in flat response at all throttle angles with the exception of wide open, and even then the scavenging is not present so whats the gain? Loud is not pretty, but you do have to tune to the ears as well as the dyno. :blush:

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/11/01 01:52

vance and hines exhaust 31 Oct 2006 23:05 #89002

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
All one really needs to do is look at the stock pipes and make slightly larger ones and the motor will gain power output, this is the basic beginning and if you have done mods, the motor will respond nicely. You will forget about the low end torque and be pleased with the work. Heck you can even baffle it and get some custom sound at the same time. Any chance that you have, tie two or more pipes together, do that and get the scavenging benefit that is pretty decent at least. The greater the increase in power the the greater the demand for fuel. Especially at top end. This is where carbs come in. The smaller the jets, both idle and mains, the higher the velocity through the given carb and the greater the atomization. The product your looking at is increased low end torque. Carbs that atomize well will help the low end and the top end even when large jets are installed. And of course it has to burn. A good hot spark is a wonderful tool to start with before any mods are made. It's an excellent base to build upon. Then you know where your at.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/11/01 02:08

• Page: