Clutch question, resources to buy?

More
30 Oct 2006 18:44 #88709 by Sweet Back
Clutch question, resources to buy? was created by Sweet Back
It appears my clutch is slipping in high rpms. I'm guessing its time to replace. I have a motor sitting that has a good clutch in it. My question is, can I just remove the whole basket, or do I have to take it apart and move the plates one by one. I haven't been in one yet so, any help is good. Also, in case I decide to rebuild, does anyone have a good resource to buy parts?

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2006 19:06 #88717 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch question, resources to buy?
Pull the clutch cover...remove the 5 bolts that hold the preasure-plate on,and there You go...all the fiber plates and the steel plates are right there for You to remove.
Check You springs while You have them out,and make sure that they're not beyond the service limit.(check Your manual for limits)Jeff,at z-1 Enterprizes has all the parts You need.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Oct 2006 19:08 #88719 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Clutch question, resources to buy?
just pull the plates and pick the best of the 2 sets,dont forget to measure your springs.measure all your parts ,i like to glassbead the the steel plates.z1 or ape should have any parts you need. ;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
30 Oct 2006 19:11 #88721 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch question, resources to buy?
Sorry Sweetback...here's a link to parts for Your bike...

www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ1000J

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
31 Oct 2006 02:23 #88788 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Clutch question, resources to buy?
My bike is a 1015cc with cams and it always slipped until it warmed up. All i've ever done is used old plates and picked through for the best ones, cleaned them with carb cleaner and hav'nt had any slippage. I was surprised how dirty the plates were. If all that dirt got loose in the motor I could about imagine what it would do to the oil filter.