Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch not disengaging? 27 Oct 2006 22:43 #87935

• kf6kmx
  • kf6kmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm wondering if my clutch is disengaging all the way.
When the bike is on the center stand, and you put it in gear with the clutch pulled all the way to the grip, the wheel will spin. Its not spinning particularly hard, you can stop it with your foot, but its definetly transferring power to the rear wheel.
If it normal for these to get some power through the clutch? My other bikes dont have the center workstand, so I cant easily get their back tire up in the air to see if they also put power through at idle.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch not disengaging? 28 Oct 2006 00:08 #87953

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
I believe what you describe is typical for most clutches where the plates and baskets operate immersed in an oil bath (commonly known as wet clutches) and results from the oil drag between the closely fitting plates. The clunk and jerk sometimes felt when first shifting a cold engine into gear may also be due to the plates sticking together a little before getting more oil between them. For this reason, some prefer to squeeze the clutch lever a few times after cranking a cold engine while still in neutral and just before shifting into gear, which may help reduce the initial clunk and jerk. Bike brands using dry clutches (Ducati comes to mind) make a chattering noise from the spinning plates while disengaged -- at least that is my understanding of the reason behind the chatter (music to some). In any event, while on the center stand, in neutral, with engine running, my guess would be that your rear wheel remains still. Just my thoughts on the matter until you receive a better explanation from the true gurus here. Cheers.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Clutch not disengaging? 28 Oct 2006 04:50 #87964

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Patton wrote:

...and results from the oil drag between the closely fitting plates...... Just my thoughts on the matter until you receive a better explanation from the true gurus here...

It can't be said any better than that.
All our bikes do that.
B)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: