810 option

More
29 Oct 2006 19:00 #88420 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic 810 option
GPZ cams would be OK, but don't they have to be 82, there is something different about the later ones, megacycle has some cams a 380 or 410 might do, will be useing the 650 head and don't know about carbs yet, I have a bunch of 650 sets. I have a lot of grinding stuff to get the fit job done, did chevys for years

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2006 19:51 #88441 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic 810 option
Hey Agawam - The Gpz exhaust cam doesn't have the tach drive gear so you would have to hook up an electronic tach. I wanted to keep the stock mechanical tach for the original factory look.

I swapped my 650 cam sprockets onto the Kz750 cams. This was just a bolt-on. The Gpz cams are apparently better in the top end, while the Kz cams are said to have better lower end and mid-range grunt which was what I was looking for.

The combustion chamber on the 650 is slightly smaller than the 750/ 4 combustion chamber if I recall correctly. I had my head slightly milled just to clean up the imperfections and to get a truer surface in the fire ring area.

I also opened up the intake runners as well as the exhaust ports which I gave a higher polished finish than the intake which should be left with a rougher surface to encourage a thorough fuel-air mixture.

Cheers - Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
30 Oct 2006 21:02 #88751 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic 810 option
well if I have to split the case, where do I get rod and main berings,crank seals ect, one of those "while I'm at it" things you know

More
30 Oct 2006 21:37 #88758 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic 810 option
Hey Agawam - Chances are you won't have to get into anything from the rods down. It has been said here many times, the 650 bottom end is bulletproof. Some may even say it was over engineered by Kawasaki.

I wouldn't start playing around with the rods and crank if you don't have to. An inspection that gives you an idea of any wear issues should suffice.

You will have to pull the motor from the frame. Set it on a workbench and pull the top half cases off. It is not too big of a job and it is a helluva lot easier to enlarge the cases with the motor out of the bike and the cases separated.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...