Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Snapped ring! 26 Oct 2006 17:36 #87634

• cnyl
  • cnyl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Snapped a ring... 2nd from the top on my 80 Kz550. Do I have to buy a whole set or can I just buy the one I need?
Anyone got a used one laying around?

Post edited by: cnyl, at: 2006/10/26 21:38
1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Snapped ring! 27 Oct 2006 07:15 #87767

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Well it all depends. If it was me, like right now I havent changed my rings yet and if I broke one, it would give me a good chance to change all and have my cylinders honed so that I wont have to worry about the rest. That would be my way to go, don't change one, change all, get that project over with.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Snapped ring! 27 Oct 2006 07:31 #87771

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
kzwolfsr wrote:

Well it all depends. If it was me, like right now I havent changed my rings yet and if I broke one, it would give me a good chance to change all and have my cylinders honed so that I wont have to worry about the rest. That would be my way to go, don't change one, change all, get that project over with.

Seconded.

Rings are sold by set PER piston.

If the bores are clean and mike within' .001 - .002" of spec, you can buy a ring set - $30 or so per hole is a decent guess for a 550 - hone the bores and save yourself headaches up the line.

Get 'em seated right, the motor 'll run just fine - with perhaps a slightly low compression check reading - for yeers n' yeers. Might even use a little oil - not enough to smoke, but a quarter quart every 1000 miles or so. No big deal. Keep 'erl in the window, and it'll be happy.

You'll be off and terrorizing the innocent all the way down to Tarpon Springs in no time. :P

• Page: