Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

transmissions? 17 Nov 2005 16:16 #8715

• OGKZCAT
  • OGKZCAT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking for a replacement tranny for my 78 Z1R. I recevied it (in pieces) with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th missing teeth. Doesn't seemed to have damaged any of the splines or the shaft. Could I just get some replacement gears, or should I just get a new or used tranny. I"m going to have a local shop do the work. just trying to score all my parts before I drop it off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

transmissions? 26 Jan 2006 17:32 #20001

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Lots of trannies available on Ebay. New OEM gears are not a bad idea. Bet a whole new tranny would cost big time.

transmissions? 27 Jan 2006 06:26 #20069

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I think the Z1R transmission is the same as the Z1, or KZ900 or early KZ1000s. It may not swap with the later KZ1000s... not sure. I always keep at least TWO transmissions on my shelf as spares and if I have a problem, just swap them out. If you score one from eBay, you can take it to the machine shop and let them back cut 2nd gear or all of them to ensure they won't ever hop out of gear. As the gears and shift forks on older KZs wear, this can surely be a problem. The only downside to back-cutting, is that your shifting needs to be a bit more precise.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

transmissions? 30 Jan 2006 15:52 #20601

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I'd just buy another tranny that is complete and have it worked over. Second gear is the weak spot, so depending on how you are planning to run it, have it back-cut for insurance. Easy street riding probably wouldn't need a backcut though. Any abuse and it would be a good idea. I have run a MK11 trans for many, many years...dragracing quite a bit, and it is still running great. MK11 trannies have a bigger second gear and I know of dragracers running stock trans with just a backcut into the eights, but that is on the edge, so it shouldn't be a problem on a street bike. A hardened second gear is good insurance but is pricey for a street bike. Just depends on how much you want to spend.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• Page: