Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 08:32 #87498

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
OKC_Kent wrote:

I don't understand this shit, I really don't. Some of you guys take the cake.

Really? So glad tou noticed.

Champ440 asks a question, a few good guys answer it. WG takes a grandfatherly approach to make sure he did his compression test right. Nothing wrong with that as we have seen time and again in this forum that new posters often don't know how to perform one.

Champ440 replies with his background, indeed he knows how to do one. It was not sarcastic in any way, but GPZROX took offense and came to WG's defense.

Bullshit.

WG asked Champ440 to list out THE PROCEDURE whereby he performed said comression check, and in return we get the highlights of his Curriculum Vitae.

NOWHERE, NOHOW did Champ440 answer WG's question - which was necessary to make sure the reply was accurate.

WG has answered countless issues for a couple of thousand people, his time is at a premium, and he spends a good deal of time being as correct and thorough as possible.

Somehow WG thinks he got dumped on...I don't see where he got dumped on. So he says he wants a break. I want a break too George.

Then either you can't read, or don't understand what you do read. Either way, you're entitled to an opinion - doesn't mean you have a clue.

Now we get the kids busting out of the playpen again, pterosaur and wireman. what are your problems?

My problem is your understanding of the definition of sarcasm.

If you think that the original statement to WG wasn't and I was, have some tea and crumpets with the next Britannica salesman that knocks on your door.

This is a technical forum (Engines) and your sarcastic crap you post does not belong here, maybe it belongs back in the chit chat forum, where you two can keep stroking each others ego.

Glad to know that somebody died and made you Lord of the Board.

I was supporting WG's longstanding effort to assist people - nothing more and nothing less - and if preserving that resource is tangent to *your* idea of how this board should operate, TOUGH!.

If you want to play sarcasm games, TRY ME.

I think wireman and pterosaour know more about engines and mechanical stuff than most of us here, but heaven forbid you show it now.

That's most likely true.

Technical answers - especially *correct* ones - take serious time, experience and at times, research to provide. WG, among others do as well or better than I could, so I stay out of his way.

While, "stroking my ego", as you so succinctly put it - I've answered HUNDREDS of tech questions, some of which were even correct.

Care to compare records?

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/26 18:05

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 09:26 #87513

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I'm impressed bud, by your ability to post in a thread without a cartoon, congratulations !:laugh:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 09:37 #87514

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
OKC_Kent wrote:

I'm impressed bud, by your ability to post in a thread without a cartoon, congratulations !:laugh:

Thank you!

Nice to know you're so easily amused. :P

A fine response in keeping with the highest traditions of a tech forum - which I intend to respect.

Come on out with the "ego strokers" and play sometime.

Bring vaseline - you'll need it.

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 15:06 #87567

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
wiredgeorge wrote:

gpzrox... I do believe that if you honestly try and help someone, you will get dumped on now and again. I am thinking about taking a break for awhile.

don't do it! i for one really appreciate the carb advice i read on here...thanks.

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 15:09 #87568

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Let's get this back on track and play nice with each other, Being a grammar cop is not one of the the things I like best :(

Some misunderstood and some took offense, let's just let it go and get back to talking tech :)

From this point on, off topic posts will disappear :)

If some of you folks want to edit your own posts, I won't object a bit, it will save me from having to do so :evil:

Posted as KZR Tech Forums Moderator (obviously)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/26 19:51
KD9JUR

82 1000 low compression 27 Oct 2006 10:20 #87801

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Geesh, I only took a couple days off the board and am now back. I have been working hard at business stuff during the day and working on my project bike the last couple evenings. Last night, the missus and I went to a businessmen's association dinner.

Folks, Please don't get into a "urinary olympics" on my behalf and thanks to everyone who offered sane advice and kind words. As a multiple grandfather I guess I must sound like a grandfather at times... hehe

Kent! Did Steve have to censor your post? You are generally a calm and sane person... Bwhahaha You still smarting over the whoopin' we put on your lowly Soooooners at the Red River shoot out? Hehehe

For Chomp440, quite an impressive resume! Keep in mind that when a new person shows up and asks a question that we are used to dealing with entry level type questions and not questions from a Porshe/mechanical engineer/snowmobile expert - my mistake... sorry, it won't happen again!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

82 1000 low compression 27 Oct 2006 12:05 #87822

• wireman
  • Visitor
wiredgeorge wrote:

Geesh, I only took a couple days off the board and am now back. I have been working hard at business stuff during the day and working on my project bike the last couple evenings. Last night, the missus and I went to a businessmen's association dinner.

Folks, Please don't get into a "urinary olympics" on my behalf and thanks to everyone who offered sane advice and kind words. As a multiple grandfather I guess I must sound like a grandfather at times... hehe

Kent! Did Steve have to censor your post? You are generally a calm and sane person... Bwhahaha You still smarting over the whoopin' we put on your lowly Soooooners at the Red River shoot out? Hehehe

For Chomp440, quite an impressive resume! Keep in mind that when a new person shows up and asks a question that we are used to dealing with entry level type questions and not questions from a Porshe/mechanical engineer/snowmobile expert - my mistake... sorry, it won't happen again!

ok all is well again in the kingdom,all hail the carb king! now back to our regularly scheduled pt bashing!:whistle: :P
Attachments:

82 1000 low compression 27 Oct 2006 13:04 #87835

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wiredgeorge wrote:

Champ440, Please describe the procedure you used to check the compression. Also, there is no way to know why the compression is low. I suggest you FIRST adjust valve clearances then recheck. Hold the throttle open this time otherwise the numbers will be low. Last, if yo find that the valve clearances are not the cause of your low compression or the way you did the testing, then you will have to remove your block and pistons and measure the diameter of both to determine if they are within spec. The clearance, if it is in spec, will allow you to just rering after honing the cylinders and this costs a lot less than big bore kits and boring the cylinders.

His having removed the head certainly makes this true.

I would suggest that one should do a leakdown test prior to removing anything if low compression is the problem.
I would also wonder, given the writers extensive experience, why this was not done.

82 1000 low compression 27 Oct 2006 18:17 #87874

• Champ440
  • Champ440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I skipped the leak down test and jumped right to the quick and dirty step, 1 oz of 75W90 synthetic gear oil down each plug hole, this netted me a signifigant increase in compression on all four cylinders. I also assumed the worst case when I discovered the bike had no air filter installed.

On the upside,the zrx 1100 swing arm I purchased on ebay arrived today ! I hope to find the time over the next week to fit it.