Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 08:44 #87181

• craigpuckett
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
champ,
be sure to get the kit for the J model motor, or maybe even go with a 1089 block with an 1105 kit that would cut down on the boring process by a bunch,and still have some thick sleeves.
B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 09:35 #87196

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Champ440, be nice to WiredGeorge, he's the Mikuni braintrust for all things carb for KZ (and Suzuki, Honda, etc.) Web message boards require us to have extra grace... I couldn't determine your experience level from your first post either. :blink:

Anyway, if the PO ran the bike for 7k miles without air cleaner, you may also want to carefully examine rods and crank for wear as the dirt gets everywhere.

I have an 82 J-motor but don't have the head for it. I got it from my PO if you need some parts.

Davi d

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 10:00 #87202

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Champ440 wrote:

Being a mechanicial engineer who has...(yippity-yippity-yap-yap-yap...)

I generally stay out of commenting in the tech forums for precisely this kind of horse-puckey, but this takes the cake.

If you're such a "mechanicial" engineering genius, why not just ask a *straight question* like maybe, "1075 kits: positive or negitive feedback?" instead of masturbating your way around the topic and then dropping your incredible credentials on the great unwashed for asking a couple of qualifying questions?

WG has long been an invaluable source of information and advice for people in need.

Now, countless others risk the loss of that source - even temporarily - because you insist on sitting on your ego?

That's HORSESHIT.

Either ask a straight question, or put that degree to work and crack a damned book if your self-image is affronted when asked to clarify.

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 11:37 #87227

• wireman
  • Visitor
Champ440 wrote:

Done ! Guess I will order the K1076 kit, 10.25:1 compression ratio. Thanks for the input from everyone, I just wanted to make sure there were no horror stories about the big bore kits

i didnt realize a 1075 was a BIGBORE kit,maybe for a kz650:whistle: did you measure the bores to see if a 1075 would be enough to clean up the bore oh master engineering type of the vw on steroids forum?i like engineering types in porshes they make the funniest faces when you pull up alongside at 125 and wave just before you crack the throttle and leave them!:woohoo:

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 12:01 #87240

• wireman
  • Visitor
Champ440 wrote:

Being a mechanicial engineer who has raced snowmobiles his entire life, and now owns his own shop doing performance work on snowmobiles, and building marine engines, and marine diesels, to answer your question, yes I know how to do a compression test. The main reason for my post was to see if I recieved positive or negitive feedback reguarding the 1075 kits.
The previous owner of the 1000 ran it for 7K miles with no air filter installed, piston to cylinder clearance 0.098" and the cylinder with 95 psi, had the rings stuck

ive been known to work on a marine engine or too also,no diesels though they belong in big trucks and tractors:whistle:

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 14:24 #87275

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
wireman wrote:

i didnt realize a 1075 was a BIGBORE kit,maybe for a kz650:whistle:

hey now, easy on us middle weights:laugh: the biggest we can go is 880 unless you're some HP crazy turbo type guy who makes his own 903 block:woohoo: . if you can get a 1075 kit on my 650 your welcome to try it, I don't mind at all I swear!:P
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

82 1000 low compression 25 Oct 2006 16:44 #87304

• wireman
  • Visitor
77KZ650 wrote:

wireman wrote:

i didnt realize a 1075 was a BIGBORE kit,maybe for a kz650:whistle:

hey now, easy on us middle weights:laugh: the biggest we can go is 880 unless you're some HP crazy turbo type guy who makes his own 903 block:woohoo: . if you can get a 1075 kit on my 650 your welcome to try it, I don't mind at all I swear!:P

yeah i knew that was gonna happen,my bad!:blush: :whistle: :S :blink: :unsure: :woohoo: sawwy drop it off over here for winter and we will stuff a really big motor in it for ya!:evil: :P

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 04:06 #87422

• Champ440
  • Champ440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
craigpuckett wrote:

champ,
be sure to get the kit for the J model motor, or maybe even go with a 1089 block with an 1105 kit that would cut down on the boring process by a bunch,and still have some thick sleeves.
B)

Thanks Craig, this is the kind of information I was looking for.

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 04:18 #87424

• Champ440
  • Champ440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
floridamba wrote:

Champ440, be nice to WiredGeorge, he's the Mikuni braintrust for all things carb for KZ (and Suzuki, Honda, etc.) Web message boards require us to have extra grace... I couldn't determine your experience level from your first post either. :blink:

Anyway, if the PO ran the bike for 7k miles without air cleaner, you may also want to carefully examine rods and crank for wear as the dirt gets everywhere.

I have an 82 J-motor but don't have the head for it. I got it from my PO if you need some parts.

Davi d

I agree, given I have several months to work on this project, a complete tear down and check is order.I noticed the wrist pins have some wear, but the eye of the rod is still in the servicable limit.

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 06:08 #87454

• wireman
  • Visitor
Attachments:

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 07:53 #87484

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I don't understand this, I really don't. Some of you guys take the cake.

Champ440 asks a question, a few good guys answer it. WG takes a grandfatherly approach to make sure he did his compression test right. Nothing wrong with that as we have seen time and again in this forum that new posters often don't know how to perform one.

Champ440 replies with his background, indeed he knows how to do one. It was not sarcastic in any way, but GPZROX took offense and came to WG's defense.

Somehow WG thinks he got dumped on...I don't see where he got dumped on. So he says he wants a break. I want a break too George.

Now we get the kids busting out of the playpen again, pterosaur and wireman. what are your problems? This is a technical forum (Engines) and your sarcastic crap you post does not belong here, maybe it belongs back in the chit chat forum, where you two can keep stroking each others ego.

I think wireman and pterosaour know more about engines and mechanical stuff than most of us here, but heaven forbid you show it now.

Point was well made without the profanity, so I cleaned it up for you :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/26 18:03
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

82 1000 low compression 26 Oct 2006 08:30 #87495

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
wireman wrote:

yeah i knew that was gonna happen,my bad!:blush: :whistle: :S :blink: :unsure: :woohoo: sawwy drop it off over here for winter and we will stuff a really big motor in it for ya!:evil: :P

sounds like a plan:P you must have a few spare 1000's kicking around by now:whistle: I may need to do just a wee bit more frame bracing tho:woohoo: one of your motors would twist a stock frame into a pretzel if it had a real sticky tire to match it:evil:
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH