Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil leak at head gasket 20 Oct 2006 19:56 #85878

• pbhooligan
  • pbhooligan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
im having a problem with my head gasket leaking oil, but im not losing any compresion or dirty plugs. if the o ring goes bad will this cause the problem, if so any way to fix it with out changing the gasket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil leak at head gasket 20 Oct 2006 20:20 #85885

• wireman
  • Visitor
try torqing bolts if its not leaking too bad;)

oil leak at head gasket 20 Oct 2006 20:41 #85895

• ISUboy
  • User
I've got the same problem and was wondering how difficult it is to replace the head gasket. I got the manual and it doesn't look too difficult :S
But being new to motorcycles, I don't want to get in over my head.

oil leak at head gasket 20 Oct 2006 21:29 #85901

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Had the same problem and was convinced it was not the tack drive, not the cam cover gasket, not a loose head bolt (all were tight as heck) and figured it just had to be a head gasket o-ring failure out of the blue. Studied the manual and prepared to de-head the mutha. Cleaned the engine area, removed the headers, looked into the exhaust port, Whoa -- wrong again, and hope you're this lucky: the #1 crush copper exhaust gasket (both of them -- I was using two old ones) was leaking. Not enough to make much noise, but just enough to ooze a little black goo which migrated (blew while riding) in and amongst the fins and streaked over the alternator cover. Looked just like oil. Scrupulously cleaned the port area and header flange. Used a little Permatex high temp (copper color) seal to hold 4 NEW exhaust crush washer gaskets in place until it lightly set (avoids gaskets falling out so easily when later installing the header pipes). Applied a little more Permatex on the outside side of the new crush washer gaskets. Installed the header pipes, torqed down the header bolts, hooked on the muffler, cranked her up, took a good spin, and Viola! No more leakage, seepage or whatever. Didn't cause any smoke from the muffler either. No problems since. All staying dry as a bone (knock on wood). Got my fingers crossed for you to enjoy the same cheap easy fix.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

oil leak at head gasket 21 Oct 2006 22:58 #86153

• pbhooligan
  • User
thanks for all the info guys. im going to check the head bolts first. i took the KerKer headers off a few days ago to redo the powder coat and everything looked good from that point. cylinders looked good and clean (well as far as 42K should). ill keep you posted on the out come.

oil leak at head gasket 23 Oct 2006 12:17 #86529

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
torque the bolts mine were the same way and I had that same leak. Try torguing it. thanks for the help with mine Wireman
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

oil leak at head gasket 23 Oct 2006 19:48 #86702

• pbhooligan
  • User
well ive desided to just put all new gaskets on the motor. but the main thing im not sure of is the motor style. my frame ID is 83 H4 but the number on the motor is KZ750 EE. so the motor is an 82 E1 correct? this is all i need to know in order to get the gasket set. Thanks in advance.

oil leak at head gasket 24 Oct 2006 06:11 #86816

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I think all of the 750 engines will be E's. The frame is the only different letter designation E or H.
Same engine in both bikes, right guys?
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Page: