TOPIC:

z650 with gpz engine 25 Oct 2006 04:08 #87099

• jimmybon
  • jimmybon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
jimmybon wrote:

The Gringo wrote:

can you tell me if the GPZ 750 bottom end has the hole machined in the cases to use the 650 clutch pushrod set up? I have a 750 GPZ engine that I want to swap into a 79 KZ 650 B the GPZ engine uses the clutch setup on the cover. I need to know if it is possible to just use the 650 covers and pushrod or do I need to use the GPZ clutch set up?

kawasaki decided to release a shaftdrive model z750GT in the early 80s. To do that they reshaped the crankcases at the point of the gear selector cover mating surfaces larger, to accomadate the bevel gears and shaft drive cover. the bolt holes stayed the same That became the new shape for chain drive models as well
So I added the extra meat through alloy welding to the z650 cover to match the new mating surfaces
Another way would be to add the hole and seal for the push shaft to the gpz cover. You could do that by building up weld to that area on the insideof the cover and then machine the cover to fit the seal, and to get the exact centre point to machine u would have to make a say 2" shaft the smae dia as the original with a point machined at one end then bolt the welded cover on then using the clutch push rod tap through the gear shaft to the pointed shaft to mark the referance point

I,m reloading this topic from a different thread (metal polishing)
74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

z650 with gpz engine 25 Oct 2006 06:06 #87141

• wireman
  • Visitor
ah,shiney is good!:P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: