Oil drain bolt from hell... Got it out!

More
16 Nov 2005 07:14 #8459 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
The only way I could get mine off after it sitting 18 years was a pipe wrench !!:ohmy: :( :unsure:
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2005 08:27 #8467 by pant412
Replied by pant412 on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
I had the same problem when I first got my bike. Just could not get the nut to move at all!. A neighbor suggested getting a little more leverage. He got a 3 foot long hollow bar which we put over the socket wrench and it was more than enough to free up the nut.

More
16 Nov 2005 21:56 #8577 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
Thanks again everyone! Food for thought. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem...
WG, taking off the oilpan would not be a bad idea. The dealer I got the bike off of told me to "keep the choke half on, she likes it that way" so you know how thorough these guys were when they 'revived' the bike after sitting 12 yrs. And yes, I will have spare everything before going at it...

Patmann, i thought about that as a last resort. I'll try a socket (or bolt out set) and a breaker bar first.

BohicaBob, I have a (very) faint idea what your talking about, but maybe you could describe the procedure in some more detail? I have only used chisels for woodwork in the past....

Pant, breaker bar... 3ft.... check

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
16 Nov 2005 22:38 #8579 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
He's just talking about taking a chisel and hammer and catching an edge on the bolt, then whack! Sometimes that's what it takes. I had to do that once on my truck with a nut for the fan clutch. Works surprisingly well.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
17 Nov 2005 00:25 #8585 by phil
Replied by phil on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
my brother had the same problem with his kz 900. only solution was to give it a good smack with a chisel and hammer to loosen it up and it worked quite well. good luck.

More
17 Nov 2005 06:39 #8611 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
Just to clarify, the idea of the chisel is to unscrew the bolt, not cut it off :)
With the sharp edge of the chisel vertical, put it on the side of the bolt at an angle so that the hammer blows force the bolt to rotate, thus unscrewing the bolt. Usually works when all else fails.

KD9JUR

More
17 Nov 2005 07:30 #8616 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
Thanks, savedrider and steell for helping out in clarifying how a chisel and hammer can be used very effectively to remove a drain plug.

The smaller chisel and hammer combo simply did not have enough torque. So I used a much larger combo.

Guess if I had a large enough combo, I could even counter-rotate the earth!;)

More
28 Nov 2005 15:41 #10724 by Brockway
Replied by Brockway on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
I had this same problem when I first got my bike. Oil filter and drain plug were all torn to heck. Funnily enough, I went to the store and bought a vice grip and a gator grip socket. I opened up the vice grip first since I figured even if it didn't work vice grips were nice to have around, but it didn't work. Ended up trying the gator grip, and it actually worked. I was pretty suprised. I think someone "borrowed" the damn socket though, cause I haven't seen it since. I made it a point not to torque the hell out of those bolts, so its not a problem now.

More
28 Nov 2005 17:27 #10739 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
I also had the same problem, hammered a 16 mm socket on to it, and used a breaker bar..

I think alot of this is due to the time some of these bikes were sitting around but I think most of it is because its a oil plug/filter we all want to make sure its good and tight and over torque it in the process. So my fix for that was to drill a #40 hole through the head of the drain plug and the head of the filter bolt and lock wire them together.Now you can just snug them up, wire lock, and you will have no worries of them coming loose and losing all your oil, or wiping out yourself or your buddy behind you...

see the link if you don't know about lock wiring..

www.lrrsracing.com/RuleBook/lockwire.htm

More
28 Nov 2005 19:52 #10779 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
1045 wrote:

see the link if you don't know about lock wiring..

www.lrrsracing.com/RuleBook/lockwire.htm

Thanks for the link 1045, thats good information for future reference;)

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
28 Nov 2005 20:06 #10782 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
Hey guys, thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Luckily, a snug 6-point socket, a 24" breaker bar and some gentle pursuasion took care of the old bolts. They must have been way overtorqued.... Put some fresh ones in and torqued them to spec. I'll check em to see if they come loose.
Thanks for the link on lock wiring 1045. That is going to come in handy sometime.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
06 Dec 2005 07:27 #11988 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Oil drain bolt from hell...
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have the opposite problem. PO had teflon tape wrapped around the drain bolt to keep it snug! It is stripped, and when I changed the oil last night I found out. I did the same with the teflon tape but I'm not happy with how it feels, especially on the last half turn. It will keep turning if you give it the least bit of torque. Any suggestions on replacing, repairing etc.??? Will I need a new oil pan?
Oh yeah, it's on my 95 KZ1000P.