hard cold starting

More
09 Oct 2006 22:00 #83064 by kzwolfsr
hard cold starting was created by kzwolfsr
I had a big prob starting my bike today. It rained and it was like 30 something and my engine was cold. My starter only works when its warm, so i had to kickstart the bike and it was like 87 percent humidity. Ok the bike has spark, I am getting fuel, I checked. Would the gas be so cold that it wouldnt atomise properly? cause I checked the plugs and they were a little flooded for the choke being on

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2006 05:42 #83108 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic hard cold starting
You failed to mention the state of tune of this bike... no mention of valve clearances or which mods have been done to the airbox/pipes or how the bike is jetted. Only bit of GENERIC advice is that if you are trying to start a bike when it is cold and damp, spray some contact cleaner in the plug caps and put some dielectic grease up in the caps. They tend to short some if there is condensation in there and it makes the bike impossible to start. The state of tune and jetting of your bike will make a big difference when it gets cold as the cold air and altitude combine to lean things out. A rich mixture is required for starting the bike.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Oct 2006 11:52 #83214 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic hard cold starting
okmy bike has its oem air box with some kind of paper filter, mikuni carburetor, i think jetted to 56, used gumout carb and valve cleaner, so my valves are clean and my valve clearances are fine. Spark plugs gapped tp 35 for better start and they dont cause preignition. In short I rebuilt the engine myself so i have good compression and oil in good condition, just changed it(10w 40)

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
10 Oct 2006 13:23 #83239 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic hard cold starting
Every 650 I've ever owned is hard to start cold, particularly if they're not run every day. During Winter in Denver if I plan riding in suspected cold weather and the motorcycle hasn't been run for over a day or two previously, I'll start it up the afternoon before the cold morning then the next morning it will start right up cold. I know I'll get the "no they start right up in 1 second" from other guys here, but my experience has been it's not uncommon to turn 10 sceonds with the starter 3 or 4 times coupled with a couple kicks to get them started or as many as 30-40 kicks without the aid of the electric. I know this sounds really strange but I've ridden 200,000 plus miles on just the 3 650s I currently own and have owned others over the years and that's the way they have all been for me even when they were new. Back in 1979 I went so far as to turn the intake manifolds upside down and swap them side to side so the nipples would point upward so I could spray a little starter fluid in to get started when I used to ride all winter down to zero.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Oct 2006 17:44 #83315 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic hard cold starting
Well I found my problem. I air filter is damp from yesterdays rain and moisture plus it was drizzling so the water just floated in there somehow