Slight ticking sound from the right side

More
02 Oct 2006 18:01 #81299 by kzmarvo
After riding my bike HARD about 10 miles(wide open) i have noticed that she has a slight tick coming from the right side when your on the bike. Valve? I know it isnt nothing piston wise but i also know nothing about valves. I am pretty mechanical any ideas what i should do? Adjusting valves on a scale of 1-10 is a what? Any advice is greatly apperciated.:blink:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2006 18:55 #81319 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
could it be an exhaust leak?

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
02 Oct 2006 19:22 #81328 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
Whats the best way to check for a exhaust leak?

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
04 Oct 2006 19:48 #81889 by GPZ1100
Replied by GPZ1100 on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
When exhaust on cyclinder #2 was leaking there was no mistaking it. It was night and day difference in noise.

More
18 Feb 2008 11:47 #195360 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
I got the same thing coming from the right side. Sounds like a real light fast tick. I can't tell if it speeds up as the engine does because its so quiet, but I'm assuming it does. The cam chain is in the right side, could it be lose? I did a valve lash adjustment about 6 months ago, and can't remember which valves I added shims to...
If I took the valve cover off, would a new gasket be necessary?
What else could this be, exhaust leak, or spark?
Thanks,
Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

More
18 Feb 2008 12:19 #195365 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
The cam chain is in the middle CptEDIV, might not be a bad idea to check valve spec's again. But I do know that a KZ in perfect condition (cam chain tension, carb sync, etc) will still make some noise. When I bought my 650 new, the salesman said "if you hear some ticking noises, don't worry about it" I never forgot that. As far as valve cover gasket it's about a 50/50 chance of re use. Let us know...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Feb 2008 13:02 #195375 by CptEDIV
Gah it is in the middle isnt it.. Its been awhile, not sure what I was thinking. Ok the tick noise is actually coming from the right side engine cover. I just installed new points and condensers a few weeks back, I opened the engine cover and didnt notice anything funny. I didn't use any grease or anything when I put the points in, just bolted them on. Any ideas?

More
18 Feb 2008 13:53 #195385 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
You need to use a little cam lube for the rubbing blocks! I found that synthedict disk brake lube works great. You may be hearing dry rubbing blocks making noise. Wipe off any old lube and then a very small amount behind each rubbing block so the rotation of the cam carries lube beneith rubbing block. I also wipe a VERY THIN layer on cam. Try it, can't think of anything else that would make noise under that cover. Unless new points are sparking so well you can hear the spark!!! :woohoo:

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/02/18 16:55

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Feb 2008 13:57 #195387 by CptEDIV
rubbing blocks... oh man. those things against the crankshaft bolt... I see. Disc brake lube huh? What kinda damage can this cause? Could I put WD 40 on it and see if it stops?
Thanks for the help.

More
18 Feb 2008 14:57 #195399 by CptEDIV
Yep.. Put some of the lube on and the noise is gone. Thanks a ton.
Ed

More
18 Feb 2008 19:20 #195450 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Slight ticking sound from the right side
Points plates are often fitted with a small felt pad that rubs lightly against the cam. A single drop of oil on the felt pad lasts a long time in keeping the heels slightly lubed as they interact with the cam. That is the purpose for the felt pad when it's part of the backing plate. WD40 is too lightweight and not designed as a lubricant.

Back when using points, never tried either of the other type lubes mentioned (so they might be better).

Am thinking heel blocks gradually wearing down is a primary reason the points gap tends to narrow with usage.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Feb 2008 20:01 #195458 by CptEDIV
Ohhh! Haha, I was wondering what that little felt piece was. I had no clue. Thanks.
Ed