shaft to chain

• wagonmaster69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
23 Sep 2006 21:00 #79105 by wagonmaster69
shaft to chain was created by wagonmaster69
Can you change a 82 shaft drive KZ1100 to a chain drive?

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2006 21:09 #79106 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic shaft to chain
piece of cake,all you need is a chaindrive motor,frame and swingarm!:P just kidding it would be really complicated if it could be done though.;)

More
23 Sep 2006 21:37 #79109 by Mikes82KZ1100
Replied by Mikes82KZ1100 on topic shaft to chain
The only way I can think of would be to use a Yamaha "converter box" backwards IF the gears would hold up running backwards. Some yamaha bikes run a chain drive motor to a "box" that then spins a yoke for a driveshaft. The "box" isn't that big but I still can't think where you would find the room to install it.

More
24 Sep 2006 06:59 #79151 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic shaft to chain
There is one more option to check out. Some later 1980 KZ1000 MKll's have the same countersprocket cover as J Models introduced in 1981.(transmission or 'mission cover in Kaw parts lists)

The oem gasket for this style cover is #11060-1069 and these covers are a different casting than '73-'79 Z1/KZ's ,which will not fit your cases. If you can find a late model MKll trans cover and countersprocket that's half the battle.

I've used shaft drive cases in chain drive bikes before but have no clue as to what else you'll need to change.I'd suggest you contact Jeff at Z1 Enterprises.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
24 Sep 2006 13:11 #79198 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic shaft to chain
Not sure about '82' models, but on the 79-80 shaftdrive motors, you will need to take the trans. out and swap out the output shaft from the shaft motor(has the shaft bevel gear setup on end of shaft) and swap in the output shaft from a chain model motor. Should be a direct swap. Haven't done this myself yet, but I was told by a knowledgeable source that it will work. I have bought a few shaft transmissions and plan to do the swap for my dragbike as these transmission have the better gears in them...as far as KZ trans. go. Not sure about the frame though. I would think the frames would be different...but all you'd need is a different frame ,which you might be able to find for $100 or so(?). The cases do you a different side cover-most 79-80 MK11's and J-model motors have the same cover-found this out by accident.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Sep 2006 15:52 #79232 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic shaft to chain
The frame isn't really the issue but the swingarm. The swingarm on a shaft bike doesn't have a shaft going through but two smaller shafts where the swingarm pivots. These ride on needle bearings. The shaft swingarm has an intergal tube for the shaft and I can't see how it could be done easily. You could pull out the shaft transmission and get rid of the bevel gear case but since there is oil in there, you would have to figure out how to put a cover that holds oil with an oil seal for the output shaft where a countershaft sprocket could be mounted. The shaft's transmission is different and the clutch is bigger than most of the KZ models. Not sure about the MK II but that motor may also have the bigger clutch and might be a cantidate... I would think if you wanted a chain bike, it would be easier to start with a chain bike platform.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2006 19:26 #79308 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic shaft to chain
isnt shaft drive wider at swingarm pivot than chain drive?;)

More
20 Nov 2006 18:15 #93590 by Harold
Replied by Harold on topic shaft to chain
I'm doing the same thing to my '82 shaft drive. All you need is an output shaft from a 81-85 "j" KZ, GPZ or police bikes. You can use your original bearings, gears etc. Will also need the transmission cover from the above mentioned bikes. Not sure about swingarms as I'm fabbing up my own solid axle for a dragbike application. B) B) B)

More
20 Nov 2006 18:16 #93591 by Harold
Replied by Harold on topic shaft to chain
I'm doing the same thing to my '82 shaft drive. All you need is an output shaft from a 81-85 "j" KZ, GPZ or police bikes. You can use your original bearings, gears etc. Will also need the transmission cover from the above mentioned bikes. Not sure about swingarms as I'm fabbing up my own solid axle for a dragbike application. B) B) B)

• wagonmaster69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
20 Nov 2006 21:08 #93652 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic shaft to chain
In that case I think I will save my 1100 motor as a spair for my 78 1000.

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.