Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 14:53 #7591

• Bud1
  • Bud1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I finally got up the courage to do a compression test on the bike. Sure enough I got ZERO psi readings on all four cylinders.

I should have taken a picture of the cams when I first reinstalled them and posted them and asked if they looked right. Maybe someone would have noticed the exhaust cam was 180 out and then I wouldn't have tried it and (apparently) bent my valves.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should try and find out how much this is going to cost me and go from there. I can't justify putting to much money into it.

Also contemplating selling the bike as is, trading it in on a new bike, parting the bike out (altho I would hate to do this) and using the money to get a new bike.

Maybe I'll have a drink instead.:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 15:05 #7595

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
If your cam is 180 degrees off you may not have bent the valves. They would be open when the engine is supposed to be on the compression stroke. You are just sucking in thru the intake and just blowing it out the exhaust. Try retiming it and see how it works.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 15:28 #7597

• Bud1
  • User
I'll try retiming it again. The cam was 180 out but when it wouldn't start I took it all apart and retimed the exhaust cam. Put everything back together and still no start, so then took compression test.

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 15:46 #7602

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Bud-

Have that drink. It's good for you in moderation.

Les is right. Look at your photo.

Let's go for something simple...

Are you sure your guage is working?
Plug hole with your finger or thumb and see.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2005/11/10 18:47

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 15:51 #7604

• Bud1
  • User
It's an old guage but yes it's working. I plugged it into the lawnmower to check it:P

When I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and crank it, I feel a pulsing sensation but no build up of pressure.

A little Southern Comfort and coke won't hurt! :P

Maybe I should give the bike some?:blink: (just kidding)

Post edited by: Bud1, at: 2005/11/10 18:53

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 19:45 #7639

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
I don't know why you just buttoned it up and nailed the starter. I cycled through multiple times by hand/wrench, looking up and down, with the valve cover off to ensure that my timing/cams were all in synch. I hope that you come out ok.

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 20:22 #7646

• Murphyau
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Bud1 wrote:

I should have taken a picture of the cams when I first reinstalled them and posted them and asked if they looked right.

It is always a good idea to take pictures BEFORE and DURING each step of any engine work, particularly if you are doing it for the first time. This way, you have a record of what it looked like before hand and this can help you to compare things when you go about re-building it.

Post edited by: Murphyau, at: 2005/11/10 23:40

I killed it! 10 Nov 2005 21:10 #7656

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Welcome to the school of hard knocks, second semester. Sorry to hear the news but I tell you what. I've got a truck load of parts to pick up this weekend and if there is a head in the bunch, your welcome to it for shipping. The way I see it is, your already broke and have to go in so why not use this to experience to chauk up some knowledge to pass on to someone in the future. Don't sell it as is, only knowledge gained there is "that was expensive". Fix it and you have gained "so thats how it works", now you can actually tell your friends, "I did it myself".
If you have questions, ASK, people on here are quick to help out.
Les

• Page: