pics of transmission problems?

More
10 Nov 2005 05:54 #7493 by wiredgeorge
pics of transmission problems? was created by wiredgeorge
Second gear has been out on one of my bikes for some time. I have to replace the transmission. Does anyone have pics of the bits that cause 2nd gear to go? It is pretty common I think. I already have a transmission to go in and have been swamped with other work so avoided shooting a weekend for the project but I am sick of having to shift from 1st to 3rd and whatever is loose is rattling badly so I think it is time...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2005 13:12 #7580 by no name
Replied by no name on topic pics of transmission problems?
maybe this will help ...

Post edited by: no name, at: 2005/11/10 16:13
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2005 14:59 #7592 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic pics of transmission problems?
George, I would suspect the retaining ring that holds the 2nd gear on the output shaft (# 23 in the parts diagram). The 2nd gear sits on a bushing that is held in place by a splined washer and the retaining ring - if the ring breaks the gear can come off the bushing and move to the right. This would cause the gear to ride directly on the splines which may be the clatter you hear. It would also mean that the gear wouldn´t be in mesh with any other gear in the transmission = no 2nd gear.

Here are a couple of pics of a 650 tranny which should be similar - note that the pics show the shafts "upside up" sitting in the lower case, when you disassemble they sit in the upper case reversing left and right. Btw, both pics are taken from the rear of the engine.

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2005/11/10 18:03

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2005 05:59 #7684 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic pics of transmission problems?
I have never dealt with this problem before. I was told that you could remove the pan and look at the transmission from below and check out the shift forks and gears and probably see what was wrong. Well.... I couldn't so will be splitting the cases on the bike. I intend to leave the top end in place and just flip it over as the job end works just dandy with good consistent and good compression. I will likely first remove covers with the engine in the frame and the cam shafts and then just muscle it out onto a furniture moving dolly. Then I will put the valve cover back on and flip it... I have a spare transmission that IS in great condition ready to go in. I don't think I will need to mess with anything on the stator end (taking off the rotor) and can use "jack bolt holes" in the front and back to provide leverage to do the splitting. I will try and take some pictures of the process... Lord... all I do is clean old gaskets hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
17 Nov 2005 22:08 #8764 by wireguy
Replied by wireguy on topic pics of transmission problems?
second gear is common problem with bikes with a lot of horsepower or very sticky tires,if bike gets raced a lot or has a slick try aftermarket gear if not just swap the tranny