Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cam noise after oil change 06 Sep 2006 12:11 #74876

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently fixed a bad starter clutch on my 82 kz1000 csr, and changed the oil at the same time. I used rotella 20W rather than kawasaki as I had been doing... it runs great but i've been hearing an intermittent but getting worse) clicking or clattering noise :dry: from the top end after a few hundred miles. Can this be a sign of inadequate lubrication? Could it come from using truck oil (as I've heard of others on the board doing)? is this something I should fix immediately, or can it wait until the weekend (I ride daily)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cam noise after oil change 06 Sep 2006 13:06 #74890

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9

I recently fixed a bad starter clutch on my 82 kz1000 csr, and changed the oil at the same time. I used rotella 20W rather than kawasaki as I had been doing.

Do you mean staight 20w? So, like, after a couple of hunnert miles it's been heated up to where it has the consistancy of 3 in 1 oil? And you get mechanical noises? Like, it could be cam follower noises, or piston slap, or heaven knows what else? Huh.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

cam noise after oil change 07 Sep 2006 05:43 #75048

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
People who are using Shell Rotella T are mostly using the correct weight oil. That would be 15W40 and not 20W. I would change that stuff immdediately.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

cam noise after oil change 07 Sep 2006 07:13 #75065

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
wiredgeorge wrote:

People who are using Shell Rotella T are mostly using the correct weight oil. That would be 15W40 and not 20W. I would change that stuff immdediately.

I agree. The 15W40 is a synthetic and good stuff. Get the 20W out before any damage.

• Page: