Oil change without filter?

More
03 Sep 2006 14:40 #74279 by Robjb84
Oil change without filter? was created by Robjb84
Hey guys, I was planning on changing my oil today but I was unable to find a Napa that stocked my oil filter this time around. I must have gotten the last one last time :D

Is it worth me changing the oil anyway and leaving the old filter in, or is that going to negate any benefits of flushing out the old oil and putting in the new?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2006 14:46 #74281 by vegasjetskier
Replied by vegasjetskier on topic Oil change without filter?
Change it anyway. At least you'll have fresh oil. If your filter cover has a drain plug, remove it also to get the maximum amount of old oil out of the engine.

More
03 Sep 2006 17:39 #74303 by Mikes82KZ1100
Replied by Mikes82KZ1100 on topic Oil change without filter?
WalMart keeps some Fram brand.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
03 Sep 2006 18:34 #74318 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Oil change without filter?
Robjb84 wrote:

...Is it worth me changing the oil anyway and leaving the old filter in, or is that going to negate any benefits of flushing out the old oil and putting in the new?

Yes, change it. Remember, oil breaks down over time. And in engines like our with the trans in the same oil as the engine, it breaks down *real* fast.

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Sep 2006 09:05 #74401 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Oil change without filter?
Biquetoast wrote:

Robjb84 wrote:

...Is it worth me changing the oil anyway and leaving the old filter in, or is that going to negate any benefits of flushing out the old oil and putting in the new?

Yes, change it. Remember, oil breaks down over time. And in engines like our with the trans in the same oil as the engine, it breaks down *real* fast.

I'll "3rd" that recommendation.
But I'd suggest getting a new filter a.s.a.p. and doing a proper oil and filter change.
Aftermarket oil filters are fairly inexpensive (about $3 on average depending on brand - STP, Fram, etc.) compared to the OEM filters, so stocking up on some when you have the opportunity is always a good idea.

Check with your local Napa (or any other big auto parts store) to see if they are able to order up a half dozen or so (pre-paid of course) filters for you for future use.
That's what I do. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ