Stay or go? new triumph TBS- love my Kawa too

More
03 Sep 2006 11:51 #74257 by rickj
Well- I haven't been around a while- got a 2004 Triumph thunderbird sport- triple. I was gonna keep the 1983 kawa 750 twin ltd- then I decided to sell it. Just today really noticed that it smokes a fair amount- so I thought that maybe for a winter project I could try a rebuild. EVERYTHING on the bike is in real nice shape- not restored nice- just well maintained nice. It has 46000 miles. I guess my question for the "engine" forum is- what parts would be involved in a basic stop-burning-oil rebuild, where could I research the process, if I decided to sell after would I be able to recoup cost? I was gonna sell for 650 (ask 700 blah blah- I hate that part-take 650) I think it burns about a quart every 4-700 miles (I just top it off with 20-50 when it's low don't really know the miles/qt.)- when I commute at the higher speed it's more- around town not so bad.

Another question- should I check something else before I tear into it?- it ain't leaking though!

Sorry to ramble- just trying to figure my options- I don't even know if I want to keep it- but it pulls nice and is actually MORE comfy than the TBS!! I've never been inside an engine- but I have a fair amount of mechanical ability...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2006 13:01 #74263 by steell
Top end rebuild on a 750 twin is easy and cheap (thanks to eBay) I just picked up a jug and pistons with 14k miles on them in good shape for $10. And there wasn't any shipping cause I was already at the guy's house picking up other parts I had bought on eBay.
I have to say that the 750 twin he was parting out was the ugliest one I have ever seen!

Pistons/rings/valves/gasket sets show up on eBay fairly often (and I buy them fairly often :) ), and usually pretty cheap.

KD9JUR

More
03 Sep 2006 13:20 #74268 by rickj
"Pistons/rings/valves/gasket sets show up on eBay fairly often (and I buy them fairly often ), and usually pretty cheap."

So is that a basic parts list for the job? Is all that swapable- or is there machining involved? Any reference you can point me to (I'll start searching I guess)

I think I'm kinda looking foward to trying this! Are there rebuild "kits" I don't think I'm at the cannibal level of skill yet- ie know what is usable and what is junk- etc...

More
03 Sep 2006 13:55 #74275 by steell
Nope, no rebuild kits, and if the cylinders need to be bored, then you will need the services of a machinist (better get one to measure the bore anyway, and take the manual with you).

Too bad you are so far away, I have never owned a belt drive twin:laugh:

You won't know what you need (aside from a gasket set) until you tear it down and measure things.

KD9JUR