'82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems

More
27 Aug 2006 15:49 #72849 by floridamba
'82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems was created by floridamba
While not a rookie to valve adjustments, I'm having trouble with my 82 J-Model. I am using the Motion-Pro tool and it's hard to work with as it seems to slip out of place.

I had the #2 intake depressed and held down with the tool, and I removed the ship to check it out. I was replacing it with the correct size and the valve tool popped out of place and the shim also popped out of place.

the problem - I had not fully rotated the cam lobe off the bucket, and now the cam lobe is on the bucket to where I cannot rotate it off the bucket. The lobe stops against the rim on the bucket that holds the shim in place.

So... HELP!

First, How can I get a shim back in place. Do I have to remove the cam to fix this?

Second, is this normal? My '80 1000 would let me rotate it in this condition. The PO gave me a set of cams for the bike and I'm wondering if he gave me the stockers and the installed set are the high performance models. Would this explain it?

Can someone post the directions for the Motion Pro tool - I have lost mine....

thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2006 17:01 #72858 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic '82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems
I have verified that these are the stock cams....if I need to remove them it's not a big deal, just hoping to find a quicker way.

More
27 Aug 2006 18:40 #72869 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic '82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems
The shims on your J motor change out just the same as they do on the earlier engine. The Motion Pro tool requires a deft touch to get it right on the edge of a bucket. I never use the pry gizmo. It truly doesn't provide much leverage. Roll the lobe ONTO the bucket to depress it as far as possible and then put the butterfly deal in place and then roll the cam the opposite way to allow the bucket to come up a tad and the butterfly thing will catch the edge (in theory bwhahaha). Once it does, you can roll the lobe away from the bucket and slip the shim back in. You just need to be patient as the butterfly thing will want to get just hung out over the bucket a tad and make sticking the shim in place a chore.

I never use that Motion Pro stuff much. The genuine Kaw valve shim tool I have works pretty much every time as it slides OVER the flat spot in front of the valve on the cylinder head. Once in place, it has an arm that catches the front of the bucket pretty much without a fuss and makes changing shims much easier.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Aug 2006 19:07 #72884 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic '82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems
when that hapened to me I used a flat blade screw driver to depress the bucket far enough to stand the bat wing motion pro tool back up.
it seems to help if you get against the cam cap side of the bucket.

the cam lobe and the bucket both are harder than the screw driver.

More
29 Aug 2006 06:55 #73169 by floridamba
Craig, WG;

thanks for all your help. i'll be working on it again tomorrow night.

David

More
31 Aug 2006 17:59 #73738 by floridamba
Craig and WG, thanks much. I've got it taken care of and have adjusted all the valves. I got some shims from Z1Ent and will put it all back together this weekend.

What do you think about chrome valve covers? I've got one plus the stocker, was thinking of putting it on the bike.

More
31 Aug 2006 18:36 #73744 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic '82 1000 Valve Adjustment Problems
Chrome doesn't do much for me and chromed engine covers seldom hold up. It takes a special chrome shop to put chrome on the pot metal covers and have it stick. I haven't seen many that can. There is a place up near Dallas that is reported to be able to but the local places in San Antonio can't. I have had a few covers chromed and it didn't hold up.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!