Mufflers

• Electric Monk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2006 09:21 #72404 by Electric Monk
Mufflers was created by Electric Monk
After going over every inch of the electrics, my KZ started right up. Trouble is, its loud, like Harley LOUD. Which makes sense when I look and there's no baffle in the muffler at all - you can see straight up the exhaust to the bend in the header pipe.

What's on it now is some sort of aftermarket 2-1 setup. I see MAC has one for '78 & up KZ400s, but not for the '77s. Are they close enough to be made to work ?

Or should I just get a generic slip on and be done with it ? Is there a brand people like ? Quieter is probably better - my late-night commute takes me right past the local cop hangout down the block :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2006 06:33 #72942 by TonyKZ1
Replied by TonyKZ1 on topic Mufflers
I believe the exhausts for the KZ400 & KZ440 are the same. I've got a MAC 2-1 on my '75 KZ400. I also tried a MAC 2-2 but went back to the 2-1 due to the 2-1 actually being quieter and I kinda like the sound from the 2-1 better than the 2-2.
Tony

Post edited by: TonyKZ1, at: 2006/08/28 09:34

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page

More
28 Aug 2006 18:35 #73079 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Mufflers
I have a star race pipe on mine and i love the roar! I have yet to get it out in the public eye(still waiting on paper work) but i think the open header is the way to go. Car alarms going off make me smile.:whistle: :evil:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

• Electric Monk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Aug 2006 10:53 #73431 by Electric Monk
Replied by Electric Monk on topic Mufflers
Thanks!
I found a scrapyard set of stock 440Ltd pipes that I'll give a try first. At least it's not that big a gamble.

More
30 Aug 2006 13:57 #73462 by TonyKZ1
Replied by TonyKZ1 on topic Mufflers
Sounds like it'd be worth a try, and if it doesn't fit, then you haven't lost much or you might even be able to return them. As for the Mac systems, they come with adjustable mounting brackets to compensate for the different mounting points of the different bikes.
Tony

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page