New Clutch Cable

More
24 Aug 2006 23:40 #72335 by kiriuskris
New Clutch Cable was created by kiriuskris
Not another clutch problem! I have an 82 KZ750 M1 Twin and had a bad clutch cable. I ordered one from Z1 Enterprises and installed it according to my KZ750 Clymers. I did everything according to the book, came here and printed out pictures, and tried some other suggestions. The clutch won't disengage. I set the cable slack the right way. I adjusted the nut on the side just like everyone said and it still won't work. I can shift into 1st, neutral, 2nd and so on no problem. I just can't get it to disengage. What did I do wrong? The clutch worked ok the day before.

I did notice however that when I was tightening my chain that with the wheel in the air, it still would spin when in 1st and the clutch lever was pulled in. I figured the clutch cable needed adjusted and so I bought a new one. Now I can't figure out where I went wrong. Help me please! Here are some pictures:

The first is the side cover off without the lever pulled: home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutcha.jpg
Lever pulled:
home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutchb.jpg
Engine with the side cover off:
home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutchc.jpg
Clutch push rod:
home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutchd.jpg
Side cover with gear off:
home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutche.jpg
Side cover on:
home.mchsi.com/~kiriuskris/kzrider/clutchf.jpg

I've been trying to figure this out for 4 hours.

Post edited by: kiriuskris, at: 2006/08/25 02:42

Post edited by: kiriuskris, at: 2006/08/25 02:44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2006 06:06 #72363 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic New Clutch Cable
Put the cover back on but dont bolt it in. Pull the clutch lever in. You are on the right track if doing so pops the side cover off. Might just need to tweak the cables some more, visually inspect the worm gear, make sure that when it turns (i.e. when you pull the cable) it is rising out of the casing.

Oh and you do realise that the wheel is supposed to spin when the bike is in gear and the clutch is pulled in right?

More
25 Aug 2006 07:25 #72390 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic New Clutch Cable
Did you by any chance loose the ball bearing clutch? On this picture #92045. I did and had a heck of a time figuring it out.

Sorry the picture wouldn't post.
the actual part # on buykawasaki.com is 92045-1001. It is a flat plate w/3 ball bearings in it. It is between the clutch release (the piece the cable is attached to) and the clutch release cam (the part your adjustment screw, screws into).
The 82 CSR doesn't have a "worm gear".

on your photo "clutche" it shows both the clutch release cam and the clutch release but I can't tell if the ball bearing clutch is there. the part I'm talking about goes between the 2 parts this photo shows.

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/08/25 10:36

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/08/25 11:42

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/08/25 11:46

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
25 Aug 2006 09:29 #72405 by kiriuskris
Replied by kiriuskris on topic New Clutch Cable
Rob: I figured that when you put it in gear and disengaged the clutch, the rear wheel should not spin. But before even that, when I'd put the bike into first with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike would jerk foward a bit. I did notice from looking at the clutch release that it does rise out of the casing. But I am not sure of how much it should.

Ron: I still have the ball bearing clutch. If you look closely it is there.

More
25 Aug 2006 10:52 #72413 by ronjones
Sorry, kris, that was my best guess...I just couldn't tell if there were ball berings or just dimples.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
25 Aug 2006 11:12 #72421 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic New Clutch Cable
You know to start from the bottom right ?
Back off ALL the adjusters from the jam nut and screw ,
the cable , then at the lever .
Put the cover on and start with the adjuster screw run it in and out a few times until you are sure where it makes contact then back out 1/4 turn . Lock it with the nut .(but not TOOO tight)
Then do the cable .
Then the lever last .

PS back off the screw before you put the cover on .
From your pics , it looks WAY to tight to me .
I would expect to see a few threads showing even with a new clucth.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
25 Aug 2006 14:05 #72462 by ronjones
hi kris, does your Clymers have the suppliment for the M1? The clutch adjustment is different, than from the generic method. Quote from my suppliment pages..."Turn OUT the adjusting screw until it becomes hard to turn. This is the point where the clutch is just starting the release." Apologies if your already know this...it slipped by me at first :)
ron