Down shifting problems

More
22 Aug 2006 10:43 #71586 by bharper6649
Down shifting problems was created by bharper6649
I have a Z1 900 that for the most part runs great. Recently I have started having trouble down shifting. That is to say I have to almost stomp on the shift lever to get the gears changed. This problem is recent and only happens when down shifting. Any help would be appreciated. I'm hoping I won't need to tear it down to check the transmission.

Thanks in advance

Harper

1974 Z1 900
4-2 Exhaust, Pods
Dyna Ignition and Coils
WG Coil Mod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2006 10:53 #71588 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Down shifting problems
Welcome Harper, Edit your signature with your bike model/year and if you like, your location in case someone lives near you who can help...

As to the shifting problem, it doesn't really sound like it is the transmission but I would guess the external shift mechanism. If you take you countersprocket cover off you can see some of this... there is also an inner cover that may have to come off and the inner cover holds oil so be prepared with a new gasket.

Take off your right footpeg and shifter. Then remove the outer countershaft cover. You don't really need to pull off the clutch cable unless you just want to get it out of the way. One thing to do while you have it off is to ensure you have a small cotter pin to retain the cable end where it fits into the arm that pivots and pushes your clutch rod.

Once you get that off, undo your chain and remove the countershaft sprocket and then you can take off the inner cover. You should have the oil drained before doing so as a bit will drool out if you don't. You will also pull out the clutch rod at this stage.

OK, you have the outer cover off. Inside you will note that the external shifter is returned by a big bowtie shaped spring. If one of the arms are busted, the spring won't return the shifter as it should. On your bike, this spring will have three loops. Make sure if you replace it, the new one will have three and not four loops.

Next note that the external shifter has two arms with hooks. If these are worn, you will have shifting problems... that is, the hooked ends wear and they will not grab the pins on the end of the shift drum. These hooked deals are called shift pawls. Also note, there is a spring that draws the two arms together. If this spring is weak, you will also experience shifting problems. Last, look up in the upper left of the area exposed when you removed the cover. In the top-left, there is a boomerang shaped piece of metal about an inch long. It has a spring that pulls it back into place. This is the shift detent mechanism and keeps the drum from sliding out of place. Make sure its spring is working as it should. Look carefully at the shift pawls for damage or bending or just wear on the ends and look at the three springs I noted and I suspect one of these areas is causing your downshift problem.

Let me know how you come out with this.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2006 11:02 #71589 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Down shifting problems
i agree with the wired one except for one small point.:whistle: id pull the left (when your sitting on it)footpeg off instead of right .:whistle: :P thats gonna cost me!:P

More
22 Aug 2006 11:33 #71595 by wiredgeorge
I just put in the right footpeg to check and see if anyone read this gobbledy-goop hehe

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Aug 2006 11:41 #71597 by bharper6649
Replied by bharper6649 on topic Down shifting problems
I knew what you meant. Thanks for the tips. I will try to resolve this over the weekend.

1974 Z1 900
4-2 Exhaust, Pods
Dyna Ignition and Coils
WG Coil Mod

More
22 Aug 2006 13:27 #71618 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Down shifting problems
Well WG, you got me. I was thinking "I must be shifting wrong because I've been using my left foot all the time":laugh:

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
22 Aug 2006 15:38 #71643 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Down shifting problems
wireman wrote:

i agree with the wired one except for one small point.:whistle: id pull the left (when your sitting on it)footpeg off instead of right .:whistle: :P thats gonna cost me!:P

Maybe WG has been riding backwards lately!
I read that post of his and didn't catch the mix up. Mostly cause I was thinking, he wrote that entire description from memory:ohmy:

More
24 Aug 2006 17:49 #72275 by bharper6649

Here is a pic of the spring I removed. It is definitely tweaked.

This is a pick of the location I removed the spring from. Do you guys this this could be the problem.

Thanks

Post edited by: bharper6649, at: 2006/08/24 20:54

1974 Z1 900
4-2 Exhaust, Pods
Dyna Ignition and Coils
WG Coil Mod

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2006 18:16 #72283 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Down shifting problems
yeah that connects to shift detent arm.somebody must of been hitting it a little hard over the years.;)

More
25 Aug 2006 06:51 #72378 by wiredgeorge
There are three kinds of springs. I can't recall the official names but one only pulls in. One pushes out and the other does both in/out. The spring in question is the detent spring fitted to the boomerang shaped deal. It is shot/messed up/useless. Someone tried to pull on it when it is only supposed to compress. Change it. Look at the spring that goes around the shifter... big spring with three loops. Does it appear to be in one piece?

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Aug 2006 11:09 #72420 by bharper6649
It looked OK, but I might replace it anyway. If they are not real expensive I will probably replace all 3 springs in question just to make sure.

1974 Z1 900
4-2 Exhaust, Pods
Dyna Ignition and Coils
WG Coil Mod