Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil volume inconsistancy 07 Nov 2005 07:03 #6947

• ltdrider
  • ltdrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I changed my oil and filter last weekend. Warmed up the bike, and caught ALL of the drained oil. I poured the old oil into a gallon container (milk jug), and about 3 quarts of oil went into the jug. Huh. Well, I filled the engine with oil from a one gallon container (Castrol 10W-40), and about 3 quarts went in. I ran the engine for 5 minutes to circulate the oil, and topped up to the sight gage. About another 1/2 quart went in, for a total of about 3 1/2 quarts. Huh.

I always check the oil level in my sight gage, and the the level is right where it should be when the bike is level. I've never gotten an oil warning light.

At the oil filler port on the engine, "3700cc" is stamped. That's one gallon, US.

Anyone else notice that their bike takes significantly less oil than recommended by Kaw?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil volume inconsistancy 07 Nov 2005 07:07 #6948

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
It isn't easy to get all the oil out of a 900. Warm your engine first before draining and then rock the bike some and you will get a bit more than what you did. It tends to puddle in places on the innards... It can sometimes drive you crazy if you do get most of it out when you refill it... it will fill, then go down as oil finds its ways to the nooks and crannies.. then refill again.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Oil volume inconsistancy 07 Nov 2005 08:15 #6958

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I find this out sometimes too, but if I am changing the oil and filter, as long as I put the 3 quarts in, and it's to the top of the sightglass, then I'm "jiggy" with it. :lol:
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Page: