jockey/suicide shift?

More
13 Aug 2006 17:54 #69181 by scirocco17
jockey/suicide shift? was created by scirocco17
I am interested in putting a jockey or suicide shift setup on my 84 zn700 shaft drive. Has anyone even ever seen this on a Kaw before? and pics, suggestions (other than just don't do it)and comments are very much appreciated. I am interested in possibly fabricating one myself. I cannot imagine it's all that hard to do. Foot clutch and an extended shifter mounted on the frame...

Why do I want to do this you ask? Well I just think it's cool. And no one will be asking to ride my bike (whenever it gets finished!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2006 00:08 #69555 by sbjones
Replied by sbjones on topic jockey/suicide shift?
to be honest with you i think you have it planned.

a shorter clutch cable. extended shifter, i would recomend some steel, no aluminum. that way it will be sturdy as hell. unless you make it pretty thick in diameter.

heck get a hold of a catalog for older harleys and i bet you can find something that would be great for this.

interesting idea, jockey shifted kz i think i might like that one!!!!!!!good luck

More
20 Aug 2006 21:51 #71251 by scirocco17
Replied by scirocco17 on topic jockey/suicide shift?
wow is this such a bad idea that no one will even give it a chance or a comment? i think it's going to be cool. HMPH

More
20 Aug 2006 21:54 #71253 by sbjones
Replied by sbjones on topic jockey/suicide shift?
man i think it is a great idea!!!!

GOOOO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

More
21 Aug 2006 00:04 #71268 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic jockey/suicide shift?
I understand the concept, but how DO you use a jockey shift / suicide clutch?

Is this something you Americans invented so you can shoot a gun and shift gears at the same time? If so.... COOL!!!!

B)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
21 Aug 2006 06:00 #71283 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic jockey/suicide shift?
inline79 wrote:

...Is this something you Americans invented so you can shoot a gun and shift gears at the same time?...

Now *that's* funny. :laugh: :blink: Seriously though, that's only Texans... :P

However, I seem to recall them being the shifting method of choice on the earliest bikes, no? I though the foot shift (and the one-click-at-a-time transmission - no I don't remember the the name) was invented in the early 20th century... by a Brit? Triumph? Aw heck, I can't remember anything....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
21 Aug 2006 08:29 #71321 by scirocco17
Replied by scirocco17 on topic i need a cheap/used shift lever
As for the shooting guns and riding thing. Don't get me started. My wife is Canadian and I am probably more anti- crazy gun toting I'll shoot you if you don't do what I want than her and all her friends combined. ANYWAY.... Heh

I REALLY NEED A USED SHIFT LEVER!
Mine is a linkage type and I need the straight arm type that most motorcycles and dirt bikes have so I can bend it all goofy, connect it to a handle of some sort, and accomplish my dream of a suicide shifted cafe loon machine! Mwahahahaha. OK I'm done.
Please help.

P.s. I would prefer a used one because I am super poor. (It's my own fault but still...)

Thanks

More
21 Aug 2006 10:10 #71352 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic i need a cheap/used shift lever
The current type of shifter is called a rotary shift.
And everyone knows that Americans hard mount their guns to the front fender. That way, all you have to do is point the front wheel and press the "Fire" button.
:P
And yes, I'm from Texas. :evil:

Post edited by: koolaid_kid, at: 2006/08/21 13:11

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.