Buying a KZ...what should I do first?

More
11 Aug 2006 06:57 #68714 by Jerka
Hello. I'm new here. I am buying a 1976 KZ400 this weekend and I was wondering what maintenance I should do first. It runs, but has been in storage for the past 2 years. Also, is there a link to a downloadable owner's manual anywhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2006 07:30 #68719 by chopstar
Replied by chopstar on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
There's the obvious:

Thorough Carb Cleaning

Oil & Filter Change

Fork Oil Change & Chassis Lube (incl. chain and brake fluid)

Spark Plugs (& possible ignition system maintenance - points/condenser)

Clutch, Chain, and Brake Adjustment

Tires if necessary (at least a pressure & condition check)

Oh yeah - I generally like to do a tightness check on ALL critical bolts and fasteners.

Post edited by: chopstar, at: 2006/08/11 10:31

Post edited by: chopstar, at: 2006/08/11 16:09

More
11 Aug 2006 08:00 #68724 by Jerka
Replied by Jerka on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
Thanks. Being new to motorcycles I have no idea where to get parts or what type of fluids to use. Any suggestions?

More
11 Aug 2006 08:46 #68733 by RustyB4
Replied by RustyB4 on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
Also from Louisville here...there's a great cycle shop up on the north end of Dixie Hwy (the sketchy end, just north of Hill St., I think) called Magnum Cycle. They kind of specialize in older Japanese bikes/maintance/parts. They'll give you great advice, a fair price, and they have a metric butt-ton of used parts (fasters, wheels, exhaust, signals, etc, etc). I'm sure you could build a whole bike out of what they have behind the counter, out back, and upstairs. Go check 'em out. It's looks like a hole in the wall, but they'll shoot ya straight.

More
11 Aug 2006 09:19 #68738 by KZKrayzee
Replied by KZKrayzee on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
There is a little place you can go that you can find everything you need, E-Bay! My sugestion is search your bike year and model, and save it so you get daily updates of what new parts are available.

More
11 Aug 2006 10:10 #68754 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
Best thing to do at first is to spend a few hours and read thru some posts on here. Next you should get a shop manual off Ebay or local bike shop. Since you are new to bikes there will be things that are common since to some of us but will be news to you. This is not a bad thing and you will gain experience as you go.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
11 Aug 2006 13:16 #68790 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
Your quickest resource will probably be Clymer manual for your 400. You'll probably be able to get it at the local bike shop and it will have a section on maintenance. In the longer term you will want to get a copy of the actual owners manual as it will be more comprehensive than the Clymer. Finally, if you wish to really work on your bike, need torque values, carb jet specs, etc., then the factory service manual is the only way to go. With all three you will really begin to understand your bike.

Use common sense. If something seems bent, or binds it probably needs looking at. Check cable ends carefully and if they show any sign of fraying, replace them. Also lube the cables as specified in the manual. Cables don't get much mention, usually, but they are your lifeline with regard to control of the machine, When you replace a cable destroy the old one so you're not tempted to use it again.

Lube pivot points with a good lithium grease. I picked up a small tube of white lithium grease a couple of years ago and it is far from empty, not because I don't use it, but because "a small dab'll do ya!"

Once you go through it carefully, you'll know that machine like the back of your hand. You'll know what every part does and you'll know instantly of something is out of place.

Enjoy!

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 Aug 2006 20:57 #68859 by kx_125_pilot
Replied by kx_125_pilot on topic Buying a KZ...what should I do first?
www.kz400.com has a whole bunch of info, parts fiche etc.