Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 08 Aug 2006 15:51 #68099

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I replaced my chain and sprockets, discovered an oil leak at the clutch pushrod seal, replaced the seal and put everything back together. I adjusted the clutch to where it felt "right" and took it for a ride. Other than a bit more "clunking" it felt OK. I then put the bike on its centerstand to lube the chain. On the stand I noticed that if I started it up in neutral and shifted into 1st the wheel would spin even if the clutch lever was pulled in all the way. I made minor adjustments and tried again and again only to find that the gears seem to be engaged no matter what.

Stupid Question 1: Shouldn't the wheel slow to a stop when the cluth lever is squeezed? The rear brake stops it easily but it picks right up once the brake is released. I also noticed that I can turn the rear wheel with my hand using moderate effort even when the bike is in first gear (while it is on the stand and the engine is off).

Stupid Question 2: Shouldn't the rear tire "lock" when it is in gear?

Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 08 Aug 2006 16:04 #68103

• knackerman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes, with the motor off and the tranny in first gear the rear wheel should not move without spinning the motor. Any chance you lost the little ball bearing that goes on the end of the clutch pushrod? If the motor is running and there is no load on the rear wheel it will usually spin with the clutch pulled due to fluid friction.

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 08 Aug 2006 16:05 #68104

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I think it's normal for the wheel to turn when the bike is running on the center stand, and you kick it into first gear with the clutch pulled in.
When I'm at a stop light and I kick from neutral to first, the bike 'clunks' and I feel it try to move forward. Just a little.
I don't understand question 2.
BTW...
OK to lube the chain with the motor running and the wheel turning, I guess. But don't put a rag on the chain when the bike's running. If it snags, it'll get pulled into your sprocket - hopefully NOT with your finger. Don't ask.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 08 Aug 2006 17:42 #68118

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Having the rear wheel rotate while on centerstand is normal. The clutch plates drag just enough to turn back whhel. You should (?!) be able to stop wheel with your hand. If you lose any fingers I will delete or mod this post. :)

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 09 Aug 2006 05:09 #68215

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Let me clarify question 2. First of all I do not lube the chain while it is running, that was probably not clear.

While on the centerstand with the motor off and the bike in first I can turn the rear wheel (continually)with my hands. There is some resistance but it does not "lock" like I expect it should.

Thanks

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 09 Aug 2006 09:31 #68284

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Don't know how much resistance you should expect with the bike in 1st and you moving the wheel.
You said you rode it after your repairs... When you down-shifted and let the clutch out, did the motor help the bike decelerate, or did it feel like neutral?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 09 Aug 2006 10:48 #68297

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The clutch runs in oil. This will tend to cause a fluid connection between plates. This in turn will cause the rear wheel to turn when no load is being applied.

As to the other question; are you saying that with the clutch lever released you are able to easily turn the rear wheel while in first gear? I can understand this if it happens when you pull in the clutch lever. However, with the clutch ingaged it should not turn.
If it slips when in gear with the clutch released this much how do you ride it?

Stupid Clutch question(s) KZ1000J 09 Aug 2006 15:12 #68348

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Mandrake wrote:

While on the centerstand with the motor off and the bike in first I can turn the rear wheel (continually)with my hands. There is some resistance but it does not "lock" like I expect it should.

Thanks

If this is the same for all gears then you're clutch is 'too tight'. If only for first, you're not in first.

Too tight.
With the cable full loose the adjustment screw on the cam should be about 1/2 turn back from the point that the push rod quits pushing back against it. You want no pressure on the push rod but you don't want a lot of slop either.

Next set your adjuster on the lever all but 2-3 turns in.

Take up the slack in the cable with the middle adjuster until you have the specified 1/8 inch or so free play in the lever.

You may need to trim this stuff after you've ridden a few weeks, especially with an el-cheapo cable.

-Duck

• Page: