splitting cases

More
05 Nov 2005 10:29 #6667 by wiredgeorge
splitting cases was created by wiredgeorge
I have to split the cases on several engines soon. I have used Hondabond HT in the past. What have you used that worked good to seal the cases after splitting?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2005 16:19 #6704 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic splitting cases
I always used Yamabond #4. Probably basically the same as the Honda stuff. It's the "semi hardening" formula. I also use it on those pesky orings between the cylinder and cases, between the head and cylinder and on the cam end plugs. Never a leak. Good stuff.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Nov 2005 17:59 #6722 by DasTeufel
Replied by DasTeufel on topic splitting cases
"right stuff" by permatex, doesn't harden and makes a rubber like seal.

2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

More
06 Nov 2005 09:53 #6812 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic splitting cases
Yamabond #4 here as well.
It can be hard to find if there is a Harley dealership in your city though. Seriously! The guys at Performance Plus Cycles here in Memphis says that Bumpus H-D is their biggest customer. He wasn't joking either!:laugh:

More
06 Nov 2005 10:35 #6820 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic splitting cases
Used Permatex on 2 strokes that I pulled apart every two months or so (can't remember the exact product name). I've used Yamabond 4 with good results - for some reason, it's less messy than the Permatex, and, if the surfaces are resonably clean, it's very easy to get it to adhere very evenly, and since the cases present a lot of surface area I think ease of application is very important.

More
07 Nov 2005 06:16 #6938 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic splitting cases
I suspect that Hondabond HT and Yamabond #4 are the same stuff and both are probably manufactured by Threebond. Kawasaki also makes a similar goop called Kawabond something but I have NEVER seen it for sale.

Thanks! - I would love to try the Permatex stuff as they make a number of motorcycle specific products. The stuff that was mentioned is supposed to be real good but you just can't get it from an autoparts store in these parts. I got my buddy at the local NAPA to try but he didn't get far calling Permatex customer support...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Nov 2005 09:43 #6974 by Bud1
Replied by Bud1 on topic splitting cases
How odd, I saw "Right Stuff" by Permatex on the shelf at Advance Auto just last friday. I'll admit tho, it's the first time they've had it. Maybe they decided to start carrying it.

More
07 Nov 2005 11:06 #6994 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic splitting cases
George you are right, Yamabond Hondabond and Kawabond are all made by the Threebond company in Japan. You can buy non-brand-specific Threebond here from pretty much any bike dealership.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
07 Nov 2005 18:32 #7078 by DasTeufel
Replied by DasTeufel on topic splitting cases
Around here I can find "Right Stuff" at Napa or Carquest, not cheap, but wow it works great. Whenever I am putting together an automotive V-8 I will put a small bead around the water ports before I install the intake manifold and the end runners of the intake, no vacuum, oil or water leaks. I also like using aviation form-a-gasket, but it is very messy and hard to remove, I generally use it in spots that don't see frequent dissassembly.

2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

More
15 Nov 2005 15:07 #8360 by sidy
Replied by sidy on topic splitting cases
FYI

3M corportation manufacture a product called 3M Triple Bond which is white, comes in a toothpaste style squeeze tube and is designed with motorcycle engines in mind. It is the same or very similar to Kawasakibond, as well as the Yami and Honda offerings.

It is also cheaper.

Stay away from the permatex offering, it is "OK" but does not do a good job compared to 3M and is very messy, it also leaves a stain on some alloy that will not cleanup easily.

Sid

More
15 Nov 2005 18:23 #8395 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic splitting cases
A little trick I picked up on dragbike.com is to thin the yamabond a little with laquer thiner and use a model airplane paint brush to apply it. It works good for me.

The thiner is good for removing yamabond also.