smoke out pipes

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
01 Aug 2006 22:37 #66565 by ran429
smoke out pipes was created by ran429
ok, this kz900 i have smokes a bit when I rev the motor suddenly from an idle to about 4K just to make noise once in awhile.
I dont let it sit for longer than a week before letting it warm up completely (with a fan on it) so the lubricants run through it.

Its a white smoke out the left pipe which is 1-4 cylinders.
the 2-3 cylinders dont smoke a bit unless the choke is on, but goes away after i undo the choke.

Should I be worried? or do you think a couple tanks of marvel or seafoam (maybe tranny fluid in oil) would help?

or do you think its from sitting too long and the valves need a looking at?

Oh yeah, the motor starts still on the first kick (dead battery) after i went through the carbs to clean them. doesnt miss at all & I went through the timing advance & cleaned it and also lubed it up so it worked again.

Im just wondering where I should pay my attention to, or just get tires & clean up the brakes & run it?

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/08/02 01:39

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2006 08:15 #66629 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic smoke out pipes
Your smoke is from either worn valve stem oil seals or possibly worn valve guides OR from the ring seat. First, check compression. If you have acceptable compression, try the test again while putting a spoon of oil in each cylinder. Do them ONE AT A TIME because if you drop oil into all the cylinders at once, you will just blow it out before testing. Anway, if the compression jumps up, you have either excessive wear on the bores/pistons or the rings are just worn. If your compression stays about the same your ring seat is OK. If that is the case, the cylinder head is the source of the oil smoke. The problem is, the smoke is also goo-ing up your combustion chamber. You will foul plugs and eventually the stuff will spoil the valves from seating good and you will loose compresision and your combustion will get even worse. Eventually, the head will have to come off to check the guides and replace the seals and do clean up. How long? Depends on how bad the problem is but you can probably ride for awhile without addressing the problem but eventually you will have to disassemble the head. Best case is just bad seals and worst case if bad guides which turns into a valve job on top the guides.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Aug 2006 17:36 #66783 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic smoke out pipes
You can pull the header off and start it for a moment to see exactly which hole is doing the smoking.

Jay

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
03 Aug 2006 11:03 #66938 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic smoke out pipes
when I first got it running, the #4 exhaust had Raw fuel pouring out the pipe, it was dripping down the header in a good flow.
hasnt done the leaking thing since I rebuilt the carbs after cleaning them though, I was wondering if it may have damaged anything or if it may have crusted up in the head.
Motor only has 9000 miles on it too. im going to run it for awhile before tearing into it. no money to get all the needed parts right now, will have the motor rebuilt here in a couple years professionally. im no engine builder by any means.:whistle: (and i wont have the time)