\"popping\" sound

More
31 Jul 2006 07:52 #66056 by cgast
\"popping\" sound was created by cgast
Hello everyone,

I'm riding a 1982 kz750 M1 in seattle. While accelerating from a stop at an uphill-facing stoplight this morning, while letting out the clutch at fairly high rpm, there was a slight popping/clunking sound (coming from the clutch...?). It happened a second time this morning as well. After these two hills, the bike was OK...although it seemed to take a little more gas to get going from a stop on level ground now--moreso than it had previously

I know that accelerating up this hills is rough on the bike, and I normally avoid doing so....not able to this morning.

My question is: Do I need to be worried that my clutch (or whatever part may have been making the popping/clunking noise) may be well on its way to being ruined? I don't want to be driving down the road and try to shift gears ,and have it go out on me. Any suggestions for preventative maintenance at this point? Thanks, folks.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2006 10:46 #66079 by cgast
Replied by cgast on topic \"popping\" sound
is it my clutch slipping? any estimate on how long I can ride if this is the case, before I need to replace plate/springs?

Chris

More
31 Jul 2006 12:41 #66111 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic \"popping\" sound
if it is slipping the time is now before you do ruin something expensive.

easiest way to tell if it is slipping is get going and get into top gear and try to acellerate, if the revs go up and the bike does not go any faster... well it is self explanitory

as for the popping noises you need to be a little more detailed and clear.

detonation is a probibility with a heavy load situation in higher heat. (carbon build up inside the engine) chunking or popping or knocking noises under excited taking off type of load but goes away after you get rolling and engine is not working as hard

More
31 Jul 2006 12:57 #66121 by cgast
Thanks for the tips...I'll keep an eye on it on the ride home tonight.

If you would be so kind, please stay tuned for an update. Thanks!

Chris

More
01 Aug 2006 12:23 #66422 by cgast
No problems on the way home yesterday, or on the way in today...I think I'll adjust my clutch cable, since the clutch engages at nearly the extreme end of the hand lever's outward distance, to bring it in a little bit, and see what happens in the future. Sound good for now?

Chris

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
01 Aug 2006 22:48 #66567 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic \"popping\" sound
Hey welcome to the website man!
Im in Kent, maybe one of these nights you can cruise down here & I could take a look see at it.

Maybe the same problem I am also having with mine, kz750E.
mine sometimes lurches funny after releasing the clutch, like it grabbs real hard and makes a weird noise until I pull it back in and re-release it.

But my motor makes some rattling noises anyhow so I want the kz900 on the road more than i want to work on the 750.

More
02 Aug 2006 19:01 #66803 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic \"popping\" sound
My bike did the same thing when I installed bigger cams. The rough idle made the engine out of synch and I noticed the clutch would pop and shudder when taking off up hill. I installed a milder set of cams and the problem went away.
Are your carbs sychned and is the engine running smooth.

More
03 Aug 2006 07:33 #66898 by cgast
I haven't synced the carbs yet...I can read a manual, but I wouldn't say I have a high amount of mechanical talent. The engine is running smooth at all rpm and speed.

I haven't had the clutch problem in the last couple of days...maybe I was just stressing it too hard.

Thanks everyone, for their assistance.

I'd be up for a ride, ran529....know of any good, relatively open roads anywhere around here?

Chris