Air Pods

• Deon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
More
25 Aug 2024 08:03 #903650 by Deon
Replied by Deon on topic Air Pods
Just took the bike for a ride out today. It is still not running very well at low revs, very uneven and slight backfire. When you open the throttle it pulls and sounds great. Could it be the pilot jets need changing as well or could the air correction jets need to be a smaller size. 

Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2024 11:17 - 25 Aug 2024 11:44 #903658 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Air Pods

I did contact you on ebay regarding the position for the air correction jets which you replied, they always go opposite the air screw and attached a pic. I did not post any images of it on ebay, mine don't have the orifice at 10 o clock like the image above. Mine are exactly the same as the image you have on ebay 2 left and 2 right.
They look the same as the vm24 which the manual says they are for that bike and they definitely had had the 97.5 main jets. 
Ok . Sorry.
Yours will be 24's 
I've had a run on jets for the vm24's lately and quite a few similar messages regarding their positioning especially for the fuel screw type with one buyer having vm22's that he thought were 24's.
You must not change the pilot jet size from stock and the air jets are the correct size for curing the off idle hesitation with the VM24's.
You should be looking elsewhere for the cause of the uneven running and backfire which may be due to partially blocked pilots, passages or intake manifold air leaks etc.
I'd also be looking at any jets that were replaced from the 'kit' and make sure the jet needle is in the correct position ( 4th groove from the top ). 
Unless the jets were genuine Mikuni or Keyster i would be refitting the originals if they weren't damaged.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 25 Aug 2024 11:44 by zed1015.

• Deon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
More
26 Aug 2024 01:49 #903676 by Deon
Replied by Deon on topic Air Pods
Thanks for the advice Zed. I have checked the air screws this morning and two were only open one turn which I have now corrected. Also found another fault. With the bike idling I sprayed a bit of easy start on each carb inlet manifold and on three of the carbs the revs shoot straight up which indicated that those three are leaking and sucking air. I will order some new ones and see if that improves the low down idling.

Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1