Anyone want to collaborate on a GPz550 runs like crap flow chart?

More
02 Jul 2024 08:45 #901660 by chopper1963
I think it would be good to have one, and not just because I have one on my stand that runs like crap.

We could do it here and then if everyone is cool maybe make it a sticky?

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2024 09:18 #901661 by Stereordinary
I could try to help. One of my Zephyrs (KZ550) runs, but the acceleration is abysmal. 

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jul 2024 09:48 - 02 Jul 2024 13:16 #901663 by Nessism
Start here...   www.kzrider.com/forum/forum-index/faq-wi...owner-things-to-know

The majority of running problems trace to (lack of) maintenance, or mods gone bad.  

Just my opinion, but making a flow chart that tells people to make sure they don't have rust in the tank, or to rebuild their carbs, properly, adjust the valves, etc, seems like a backwards way to approach the problem.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2024 13:16 by Nessism.

More
02 Jul 2024 16:52 #901669 by chopper1963
Let's start here:

A good battery should put out at least 12.8 volts (?)

Ignition coils should register (?) Ohms

More
02 Jul 2024 16:54 #901670 by chopper1963
<<Just my opinion, but making a flow chart that tells people to make sure they don't have rust in the tank, or to rebuild their carbs, properly, adjust the valves, etc, seems like a backwards way to approach the problem. >>

I wasn't going to make a flow chart about rust in the tank or adjusting valves.

Next: Minimum cylinder pressure should be 120 psi as measured with a compression gauge.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jul 2024 17:15 #901673 by TexasKZ
If I was gonna make such a chart, it would look like this……..

1. Do all of the routine maintenance items listed in the factory service manual.

2. Do ALL of the routine maintenance items listed in the factory service manual.

3. DO ALL OF THE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ITEMS LISTED IN THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!

4. DO ALL OF THE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ITEMS LISTED IN THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, YOU BLOCKHEAD!!,

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, slayer61, sf4t7, howardhb, Kelly E

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jul 2024 17:44 - 02 Jul 2024 17:45 #901675 by Nessism

Let's start here:

A good battery should put out at least 12.8 volts (?)

Ignition coils should register (?) Ohms

I realize that you are trying to help, but this info is in the factory service manual.  People should ALWAYS use the manual as their bible.  Not some info they find on a motorcycle forum, which may or may not be correct.

BTW, no load tests on batteries are not meaningful.  Sorry...
Last edit: 02 Jul 2024 17:45 by Nessism.

More
02 Jul 2024 18:34 #901676 by Nerdy

If I was gonna make such a chart, it would look like this……..

1. Do all of the routine maintenance items listed in the factory service manual.

2. Do ALL of the routine maintenance items listed in the factory service manual.

3. DO ALL OF THE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ITEMS LISTED IN THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!

4. DO ALL OF THE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ITEMS LISTED IN THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, YOU BLOCKHEAD!!,

I don't get it. What the heck are you trying to say??

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

More
02 Jul 2024 18:38 #901677 by chopper1963
<<I realize that you are trying to help, but this info is in the factory service manual.  People should ALWAYS use the manual as their bible.  Not some info they find on a motorcycle forum, which may or may not be correct.

BTW, no load tests on batteries are not meaningful.  Sorry... >>

Then why is that very information listed in the factory service manual/bible?

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Jul 2024 07:20 #901695 by Nessism
@chopper1963, please forgive this post.  It's NOT directed at you.  

All over the internet's motorcycle sites for older bikes, we see the same thing repeat: dude finds a bike that's been sitting for an indeterminate period of time.  He installs a new battery, changes the gas and maybe oil, then scratches his head when the bike doesn't start up and/or doesn't run right.  A Youtube video often follows, with the bike, maybe, running on half of its cylinders, while gasoline pours down from the carbs and/or airbox.  "Now what?" the caption reads.

More
03 Jul 2024 08:54 #901702 by Stereordinary
Replied by Stereordinary on topic 91 zr750 8800 original miles beautiful
Now that I think about it, my FSM has a troubleshooting section at the back of the book. It’s pretty close to a flow chart. 

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
03 Jul 2024 11:26 #901708 by slayer61
I work in a power plant. I have tried to tell many folks it's like a giant car. It has a starter, it has a lube oil system, it has a cooling system. Hell... it even has a generator!  

The point I'm trying to make is this... when we do a "start up", we look at ALL the "systems".  First we need a solid connection to electricity. 15KV breaker serving the plant... check.
The hydraulic system needs to work, for the starter to work.
The cooling system & lubrication systems need to be up to snuff in this weather or we're stuffed...
Ad infinitum until you've covered everything involved.

The need to look at the bike system by system is vital for a successful start up!  As they say... "YMMV"!

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.